1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single Speaker for recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Feb 17, 2008.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Kicking around the idea of building a single 12" speaker box for recording. I'm thinking about maybe an isolation box so you can put a mic in and close a lid -any recommendations or has anyone had any success doing this?

I'm just tired of lugging my cabinets up and down a NARROW staircase (cabinet is 22.5" wide, staircase is just over 23"!!!!) to record.

:help:

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had great success using a small sealed box with a nondescript 12" speaker using a close mic with baffles around it to stop leakage into the drum mics. But that was at low volume on the amps and everything monitored through headphones. In fact that was how the old rock records were recorded. My cabinet was about 18"x18"x12" deep made from 1/2" plywood and stuffed with fiberglass insulation. There was absolutely no engineering involved. It recorded beautifully driven by an Ampeg B15 head and sometimes a 50 watt Bassman head. I also used a little Polytone MiniBrute II combo that was just as good.

I know that a couple companies have tried making boxes such as you describe but none of them made it on the market for long. One of the Nashville session players was reported to use one but I don't know if he still does. And Bassplayer magazine some years ago did an article on one where they built a cabinet inside a cabinet. The whole setup was huge and the idea a bit ridiculous when it can be done just as well with one simple box. I don't know if it's worth the trouble when you can just mic up a good small cabinet-as long as you can baffle it off in the studio. One demo studio I used to record at for paying sessions was up a flight of stairs. They had no baffles so I stuck my amp in an isolation booth (actually the coffee machine room) and miced it up. It worked fine. Soon after I talked the owner into building some baffles for his main room and that did the trick.

But do a search and look at what was tried. I think SWR tried it and maybe IAmp, although my memory is fuzzy on that.

I find a single speaker, a 12" was ideal, and no tweeter works the best. But for a cabinet with a mic inside maybe go to an 8" speaker.

But a 23" staircase! That must break any fire code.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Cool story behind that actually - the house was built in the 1870's and the staircase is the remnants of a secret passage way that went up to the attic. It sucks for convenience but is pretty neat if ya like old/antique feeling kinda stuff.

4. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    look at an avatar sb112neo....lightweight and sounds very good

5. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I have...even working out a trade for an Aguilar GS112 as we speak but that all defeats the purpose of doing it yourself. :smug:

6. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    A friend of mine brought one of these isolation cabs over the other day to show me. It was DOA and wouldn't fire up for some reason but interesting non the less. It was for guitar and had a 5-6" speaker. I thought he paid waaaaay too much for it. oh yea... and the mic couldn't be repositioned either!

This all got me to thinking about building a better version for myself.

First job was to figure out the box. I'm pretty broke so I spied a nice old anvil case sitting here and thought that it looked like the perfect size to fit a speaker into.

Next I thought that the best speaker size would be a 12" because I want to record bass as well as guitar and I have a pretty big selection of 12's laying around ( JBL, Fane, EV, Texas Heat Eminence, CTS, Eminence Delta... lots of stuff)

I think I could build the speaker baffle inside the box to be easily reposistionable in order to change the "cabinet" volume behind the speaker by using slots built into the side of the box. Simply slide the baffle with the speaker mounted to it into the next slot forward or back.

Flex goose neck for the mic.

Roxul 2" insulation panel covering the entire interior.

The anvil case I have has a flip top lid and is 28" long x 19" wide x 16" tall.

The only trick would be to prevent the movable baffle from vibrating. Any thoughts? maybe I'll line the channel it slides into with rubber.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That is cool. Love those old houses. I have one myself.

8. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That sounds interesting...like ya said, I'd be concerned with vibrations and even wind dynamics - in a closed box like that a mic is gonna pick up everything including leaks where air is escaping.

9. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    true..but im too lazy to build my own..(actually just dont have all the tools)....maybe contact dave at avatar and see about buying a speaker from him....you know the sound of the eminence 12"....good luck

10. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    I've built a few engines for cars so I know I can seal something... oh wait! I cant seem to get that stupid roof to stop leaking over my mixing board!!!!