Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Six Banger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AffinityBass, Jun 28, 2005.

1. AffinityBass

AffinityBass

Jun 28, 2005
    Marlboro, NJ
    Hey guys. I'm new around here, so this is my official hello to all of you.

*Hello!*

Now, I have a question for all you experts here at Talk Bass. I'm looking for a good six string bass. I would like it if the price tag read $1,500 or under. The only perquisites on it would be it being fretted, and the string spacing must be wide enough to allow slap techniques. I just got back from Guitar Center where I tested out an Ibanez SR506. It played good for fingerstyle and tapping, but I wasn't able to pull off very many clean slap bits, like I can on my four string. So, yeah, I'm looking to stay away from over-thin necks.

Now, we can let the answers flow.

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Bill Dickens proves spacing shouldn't be a real problem with enough practice. He plays a 7, and he still can outslap EVERYONE!!!...Well not every.. But almost everyone.. I don't know.. Leave me alone :(

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Peavey Cirrus six strings fit your wants/needs pretty well...I've seen some new selling for about $1500

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Where is Marlboro, NJ exactly?

I can tell you, the best sixer I ever played was priced at around $550, an Ibanez SR506 at Manny's NYC.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I would agree that, since you're a NJ guy, it worth the trip to Rondo to check out the Brice Prestige NT's, especially if slapping is important (19mm spacing!) ..... you'll be very surprised. Or, used stuff is everywhere for that price range, just a couple below from the 'bay

Warwick Thumb Bolt-on $1000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7333049589&rd=1

Peavey Cirrus $1100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7332557300&rd=1

Plus, check in at the For Sale Forum here at TB, this was on there a few days ago, great deal ....
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186590

6. +1 Cirrus, adjustable spacing.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yet tight spacing still sucks for some folks, myself included.

I "could" wear a 1/2 size smaller shoe... but why?

:D

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    LOL Brad, good point. Im of the opinion you can get used to anything, but still agree, why should you re-train yourself if you dont have too :)

9. Welcome to TB!!!! :hyper:

And on to the question.... The Ibanez BTB series certainly has the wider spacing. Not sure about what the 6 has, but the 5 offers 19mm. e-Bay normally has some floating around. They are damn nice basses, IMO!

Good luck in your search!

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tight spacing is a throwback from when five strings were the newest thing and builders tried to cram them on four string necks :D