1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SKB Bass Safe - Broken / Damaged

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Churchmans, Feb 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Churchmans

Churchmans

May 19, 2012
    Hello,

I've had the SKB bass safe for only about a year and have flown with it about a dozen times. Last week I arrived in SLC with the case on the conveyer belt in 2 parts. On one side of the latch the thin part that connects to the strap broke. The airline agreed to pay for the broken case (minus 20% for "wear/tear") but I have to surrender the old one and present a receipt for a new one.
    I MacGyvered my way home but I'm reluctant to buy a new one.
    A look at Amazon reviews and apparently I'm not the only one that this has happened to.
    I have been in contact with SKB and they have been helpful but I'm still reluctant to trust this mechanism again.

I am torn between (A) replacing this case for a new one (B) updating my MacGyver job to something a little more substantial or (C) doing away with their latch entirely and using a chain/tsa-lock insted of their plastic lock.

The Bass Safe gets a lot of love here so I just wanted to share my story.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

2. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Buy a new one, send them a copy of the receipt, get your money and return it and get something better.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had a constant problem with mine arriving with top section hanging off one side....latch not reliable

same thing with my 2 space amp case

I only use Gator products now

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I moved from the bass safe to this 3i5014-44. it's worked out great. TSA managed to break one of it's handles a few years back and SKB sent me a new one right away.