1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Skeptical about Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fuzzspiral, Feb 10, 2019.

1. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Hi all! I really like overdrives by Darkglass (at least in the hundreds of reviews...) because they seem to be really "drive", and they don't cross into the fuzz territory.
    Since I already have fuzzes on my board a darkglass style is what I look for.
    BUT. They sound, I don't know how to put..."hollow". I mean, they seem to have a lot of great frequencies but they stay "around", not very direct. Very aggressive but soft, if I can say this. I could only try the Vintage and this sensation got confirmed.

Can you give me some feedback please? Especially in a live situation with other instruments...considering my budget I'm interested in the Alpha Omicron but I can't try before buying it. In this forum they all talk good about it.
    The others two that I've taken in consideration are the SS/BS Mini (I love it!), but it seems fuzzy, and since I already have the TAFM and the EHX Green Russian Reissue it's a bit redundant, I think. The other one is the Boss BB1X bass driver
    I play a Precision standard, Gallien Krueger 700RBII, Ampeg svt410hlf.
    Thank you very much
    PS I like stoner rock.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Crystalman85, Ellery and Snaxster like this.
  2. The Alpha-Omega is a beast in the mids. Especially at cutting through wit
    An Alpha-Omicron would be an excellent choice to saw right through a mix.
    You can make it sound “softer” but its’ forte is ballsy grind in the midrange.
    (The Vintage is definitely softer and more polite for sure!)

Even though I have no guitars here, there is several synths mixed in loudly and stepping all over the mix there, including bass frequencies. That's the Alpha-Omega.

3. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I only tried the B3K, but what you are saying is more or less the reason why I sold it. It's dirt without the dirt :p Very tight, great definition, blah blah BUT... maybe suitable if you want that polished "modern sounding" :atoz: djent tone, not if you want to sound nasty.

Have you taken into consideration a Rat clone instead?

Kijuer, Snaxster and MattZilla like this.
  4. Having owned the B3K, VMT, Vintage Ultra, I can say the Alpha Omega is a completely different beast.
    I’ve also used a Proco Rat and the Alpha Omega can definitely get more filthy than that. The B3K definitely cannot get filthy like that, as you said.

My clip was more on the cutting/dirty side, as it can get a lot more saturated than that.

oZZma likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've owned most of the Darkglass stuff, and for me the Alpha Omega is the best one I've had. I love it for a low gain sound, it adds a ton of punch and 'juice' for lack of better terms!

If your tone is plain orange juice with no pulp, the Alpha Omega adds the pulp. How's that? :)

davidprice, rohi and FaithNoMan like this.
  6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    B3k and B7k: I thought the bedroom tone was awesome but in a mix I had a real hard time getting them to not seem washed out... even with the EQ on the b7k. I can see how for some genres it could be great though.

Vintage deluxe: its become an almost always on pedal. It NAILS the tube overdrive of my one amp exactly. It fits the mix and gives a good presence. Can be subtle or roaring depending on settings and the hotness of your signal.

Alpha omega: haven't tried it

miljoneir, hintz, Rickter and 3 others like this.
  7. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    No you’re absolutely right. The alpha omega is the best distortion I’ve tried by them but I couldn’t get the same vibe in the Ultra version which I now have and am selling because it didn’t work for me.

8. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Omicron is what I use and it cuts thru.

Lowtonejoe and fuzzspiral like this.
  9. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Thanks to all for the informations but the Alpha Omega is out of range considering my budget, this is why I'm more into the Omicron. I'm trying a sound of saturated amps, not interested in all-out distorsion (Kyuss bass player, for example)

Example:
    this one is to give the idea but the amps that these kind of review videos use, can make a garbage sound like gold, so I can't understand where the good amp finish and where the drive starts

@oZZma "maybe suitable if you want that polished "modern sounding" :atoz: djent tone, not if you want to sound nasty.
    Have you taken into consideration a Rat clone instead?"

that's the way I feel, too. Yes the Rat seems cool but loses too much bottom ends, for my taste, at least

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  10. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    The Alpha Omicron is great. I had one before the Ultra and the distortion worked better in that aspect.

Lowtonejoe likes this.
  11. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Microtubes X or X7 may be worth a look. I've played a few of their pedals (b3k, AO, and X7). I liked the first two on their own, but I get what you're saying about that airiness and lack of mids on some settings. It's almost like the sound seems punchier and compressed on it's own, but if you don't set it right the fundamental can feel a bit hollow.

Anyway, the crossover on the X7 is great for this. I can use more drive on the top end than I otherwise would, and then keep my mids/lows relatively clean. So I don't lose my bass, I just get some of that DG crunch with it. Also, I found the Way Huge Pork Loin to be killer for the sounds you're describing...

12. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I’m glad it’s not just me that feels that way about Darkglass. I hear everyone obsessing about them and I just think they all have a baked in tone that sub par. I cannot speak for the omicron because I haven’t tried it. I did have a ss/bs mini and I think you’re spot on by saying it’s “fuzzy”. I remember watching one of Juan aldertes videos where he compared the TAFM, the mini, the Buzzz, and the f*ck overdrive. I honestly that they all sounded really similar. Ss/bs makes good stuff but I didn’t find a ton of difference between a lot of their tonalities. I would highly suggest checking out a Damnation Audio MBD-1. It’s my favorite drive pedal right now by far. The Broughton Terraformer would also be a good compliment to your setup. Lastly, the sansamp gt2 is extremely underrated in my opinion. I think people overlook it because it’s a guitar pedal but it’s absolutely monstrous.

13. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I tend to use light overdrive and it works great for what I want.

About a minute in you can hear the B3K.

14. The "VMT" is a nicer old school sound.. I had the"B7K" and just couldn't connect with tone coming from it.. "VMT" is still on my board.. ;):thumbsup:

hintz, ObsessiveArcher and Lepparda like this.
  15. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I had a B3k and couldn't get a good tone, switched over to the Tech21 dUg Pedal and game over. See if you can pickup a used one for about what you are looking to spend.

16. That's not going to have a gnarly midrange either, imo.
    I mentioned the Alpha Omega only becsuse it can get into the territory of traditional distortion/od.
    Given the style the OP wants, I don't think something so focused on the top end will do, but I could always be wrong:)

17. Impermanence

Impermanence

Jan 8, 2015
    I would look into the Dunwich Volt Thrower if you can get your hands on one. Rat with low end to spare. So good, I run two of them on my board.

cataract and Malafaia like this.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you want something with gnarly midrange, you can check out the EBS Billy Sheehan. It's the opposite of Darkglass.

StevieMac likes this.
  19. I don’t like DG stuff for upfront effects, but I love my B3K for an always on bit of grind.