1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slap and pop: give me a simple practice song

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GManfromOz, Aug 18, 2017.

1. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    For the first time ever we have a funky-ish song in the setlist so I had to learn to do the slap and pop thing. (Fly Away by Kravitz, I know it's not strictly slap but it's how I'm covering it.) It's just some straightforward octaving but its now got me intreagued and it's a style that I should have in the kit bag.

Can anyone suggest a straightforward funky slappy type song I can practice to? 70's preferred and nothing too vigorous.

DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  2. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon

Dec 27, 2016

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
  4. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017

Thumb n Fingers and csc2048b like this.
  6. csc2048b

csc2048b

Apr 4, 2010
    philippines
    thanks for reminding me - this is one super mofo tune. learning it now.

5StringBlues and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  7. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Simple and clean? Take a listen to Billy Ocean's ''Love zone''

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  8. songwriter21

songwriter21 Involved with two girls. Cirrus and Milly. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    "Pop Life" from Prince...fairly simple and straightforward. I think Prince and his players purposely played around with the timing to mess with people, but you should be able to do it, though...pretty easy.

5StringBlues likes this.
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Boogie Oogie Oogie" (A Taste Of Honey) is almost entirely finger plucked...Janice Johnson's small bass break (5 notes? @~3:12 below) is thumbed/popped...a couple of fills/trills, too.
    She is smooth; awesome because she had not been playing very long when this song hit (the liner notes from their re-issued debut album sez keyboardist Perry Kimble taught her the bass).

Badwater likes this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and much more recent-

Badwater likes this.
  11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    +1 for all the "Boogie Oogie Oogie" suggestions, that's a perfect tune for a beginner to get their thumbs around.
    Also consider Jeffery Osborne's "Let Me Stay With You Tonight" which is wonderfully simple without being simplistic.

I think "Thank You" might be deceptive; while it seems like it's just that bVII-I-8ve-bVII-8ve lick over and over again, there's that low open E that he keeps dropping in in a way that seems confoundingly unobvious. I would love to watch how Larry Graham played that line to see how he managed to squeeze that note in, because it doesn't sound at all like it's being articulated with conventional [sic] slap/pop technique.

csc2048b and JimK like this.
  12. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    This Sandberg Bass and player really cuts through the mix.