1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Slap It!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Kosko, May 12, 2006.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    So I just got this book. Very good book, I impressed by the grooves and it goes from fairly simple to extremely difficult. I was just wondering if anyone's actually gone all the way through the book, because there is some incredibly difficult stuff in there. I've been playing slap for about 5 years and couldn't even start to touch some of the licks. Funky stuff, a lot of hits on the e and a. dead notes on the downbeats, funky.... difficult... just curious

2. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I'll take no replies as no one has really completed this book. For all the people who ask, "How do I play slap bass?" the answer is, "this book".

3. word...

4. agreed.

5. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    I have had the book since March and I am about halfway through now (ex 78 out of 151) after three months.

I did originally have the book in the 80's and am going back to it now so I had a bit of a head start. I expect it is going to take a while to get really fluid and up to speed on all the basslines though.

I also reckon the latter half is going to be more difficult than the previous half.

That said though I am really getting into it and finding I can make steady progress.

It is often talked about as "the" book for learning slap and pop.

6. I got this book after reading some reviews here.

The thing that's great about this book as the exercises don't sound like a bunch of exercises. The examples are actually really cool, so it's a little more motivating for me to practice.

Also I can approach it in different ways. I'll use my metronome and really work on my speed and accuracy, or I can just play along and get in the groove with the CD and I can still feel like I've gotten something out of my time.

7. Its just such a solid book. It hasn't got all the double thumping left hand slap and triplet pops etc which I think for anyone starting slap bass is a bonus.

And the grooves are great. Its a bit old school which is fine.

There is lots of Wooten, Mark King stuff out there you can cop as well and incorporate when you have those techniques down
    For a complete intro to the style its a classic.

Alex Sklarevski's Bass Playing Techniques is great also.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah,

i really dig this book too. the lines and exercises really have there own style. they are different to other slap things i've seen and worked on.

its cool that you can apply lots of different techniques to the lines too. change them so you use up and down thumbing and double plucks etc... gives them a different feel and articulation

9. I was a little overwhelmed by some of those licks when I got the book, my bass teacher is helping me go through it though, and im finding it a lot of fun. great licks, one at a time.

10. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    I've done most of this book as well. The only thing I have to say about it that is semi negative is that to my ears it is a bit old fashioned. Oppenheim uses the thumb perpendicular to the strings technique slapping down into the fretboard. Or what I affectionately refer to as the "whitey slap." Also, Oppenheim LOVES to throw that open E into just about everything, which I find limits the amount of keys you will be immediatly comfortable playing in.

The problem I have with this technique is that you will have to change your motion to a more modern parallel to the strings technique if you ever want to get into the double thumb, two finger pop technique. Don't get me wrong it is a great book and considered by just about everyone to be the definitive introduction to slap and pop.

You might as well start working through Slap It using the double thumb technique now. The double thumb will give you much better tone and open up your technique to some super fast licks that traditonal slap wont ever touch. I know there is a clip or two floating around here on talkbass which is about all the introduction to the technqiue you would need. One of them even features Victor Wooten, unfortunatly I don't know what dvd the clip is from ><

11. Indeed, but the exercises can also be played with the thumb parallel to the strings, what I did right away. My slap lines still have some Oppenheim-influence in them, even after more than 15 years. Maybe I just suck at slapping though ;)

12. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
    Is there a CD included with this book?

13. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    oh yeah, i could probably listen to the cd by itself and be happy

14. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Where does one purchase this book?
    At any music store? Or do you have to order it online?

15. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    http://www.slapit.com/

16. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    Author, Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass
    Kosko,

I'm glad you're enjoying the book.

To answer your question about players finishing the book... When I was teaching I had many students who finished the book... working thru every exercise. So, certainly it is possible.

I used to say to my students, if I can play this stuff, anyone can. :)

One issue some players will have with the book is that some exercises are difficult to play if you do not use my technique. Specifically some of the exercises with double stops (ex. 53-56 for example) rely on the way I position my right hand over the strings.

Of course the same thing would be true for me if I tried to play exercises that utlitize double thumb technique without modifying my hand positon.

It just wouldn't work.

Every technique has its advantages and disadvantages. There is no one right way to play.

Learn everything you can.

Cheers!

Tony

17. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Yay, I found Slap It at "Steve's Music Store" in Montreal, and picked up a copy. :hyper: