Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Slap songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by OblivionBass, Jul 31, 2005.

1. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    I've been looking for some song thats mostly/all slap for awhile, something thats impressive and not just a short riff. Anybody have any suggestions? (I play a 4 string)

2. Check out the Victor Wooten solo slap stuff... :)

3. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    Know any places i can get tabs or something? Cause for me that stuffs probably gonna be hard and I'm definately not gonna try and figure it out. Videos...tabs...anything that'll help (like a site or something)

4. Primus too.

5. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    isnt primus stuff for 5 string? I remember i wanted to learn one of their songs but it was for 5 string (dont know the name anymore)

6. It depends on the song, I think. Les has a lot of basses.

7. RHCP stuff is mostly on a 4 if you're into that kind of thing.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Although most of Level 42's tunes are too eighties for me, Mark King has great slap stuff in there. One of his best: "Mr. Pink".

9. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    I've already played a ton of RHCP stuff, looking for other stuff

10. I would suggest checking out victor wooten live at bass day 98,,,dvd that can be found on ebay anytime...he gives a great explanation of his slap style there, and IMHO he has the best style going,,,up and down with the thumb, plucking with 2 fingers...plus when you watch him play it is simply inspiring....

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

MARCUS MILLER!!!!:bassist:

12. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    Also, I have found it difficult to learn slap from a book. IMHO slap is best learned by listening and imitating. It's a feel thing. Perhaps an instructional dvd or video would work better.

Adam Nitti's evidence CD is an excellent source. His slap songs are not terribly complicated, but heavy in groove. Adam is the best bass player I have ever heard. If you want to hear some insane bass playing check out Adam's Balance CD. Adam recorded solos with Victor Wooten and both are amazing. Balance is more of a 70's jazz/fushion whereas Evidence is modern fusion. Adam describes his style of playing as jazzGrooveShrediFunk. His soloing is unlike anything I have ever heard. He plays from the heart and grooves, but he can play any style and his tapping/sweep picking style (no, doesn't use a pick) is unreal. His solo on the first track of Evidence is similiar to an Yngwie Malmsteen line, very fast, but also very melodic. And just when you think he couldn't possible play any faster, he not only speeds up, but moves into a muted speed groove that words can't describe. Check him out at http://www.adamnitti.com

You can pick up a copy of his cd at http://www.cdbaby.com

I was lucky enough to take lessons from Adam for a couple of years.

Hope this helps,

13. Play non-slap songs slap style or make up your own dang riffs. :spit:

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you're done with the macho white boy speed slapping stuff.....

Go over to Ed Freidlands site and listen to his version of what BMI won't let him call "Spooky" any more....

That thing is a 2 chord master class in the RIGHT way to slap.

IMHO of course.

15. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    Australia
    try tommy the cat by primus its played on a 6 string but it was recorded on a 4 string or something so its possible :bassist:

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Learn the Seinfeld theme, it's only a couple riffs but everyone recognizes it and, well, it's seinfeld! You can't go wrong

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What difference does it make whether a song is played originally on a 4 string or a 6 string or a 9 string? Just play the song and quit making excuses!

18. Yes, buy a keyboard!

19. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    Australia
    he owns a four string that why i said it