1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slappin on 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Nov 28, 2006.

1. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I currently play a 5 sting. I am planning on haveing a bass built after the first of the year and am considering stepping up to a 6er. Problem is that I do play slap quite often. Does anyone have any experience with this. is it difficult or is it no different then when I trnsfered from 4 to 5?

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Depends on string spacing, of course, but basically no different .... :cool:

3. blmeier7

blmeier7

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    I don't think it will be a problem. I learned to slap/pop on a Yamaha TRB6P and didn't seem to have issues. The string spacing may be the biggest factor to consider.

4. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I think the hardest part would be plucking the g string. It's so easy to grab it if it's the highest string, but the C string would be ackward at first.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It can be done, just ask Alain Caron! FWIW, I think it's quite a bit harder than the switch between 4 and 5 string basses. When you switch between 4 and 5 all you have to do is adjust where you've aiming your thumb. When you start playing a 6 you need to account for that C string, which will force you to tighten up your popping accuracy. In time though, it becomes fluid and natural and easy enough to do!

6. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Still can't slap on my 6. I'm alright on my 4 and 5 though.

7. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i have a toby pro 6 that slaps great! its all about the string spacing.

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Yamaha TRB1006 and can slap it. I can't, however, slap on my friend's Schecter C5 or Warwick Corvette 5-string. My slap technique on the 6 is different from my slap on the 4-stringers. I don't play 5s, so that may be why I can't slap on those.

9. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    What is the most common string spacing for a 6?

10. I've tried an ibanez sr 506:
    (http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html)

It's the only 6 string i've seen in my local highstreet. It has quite a narrow string spacing but i had no problem slapping on it. It shouldn't be too hard to get used to different spacings if you spend enough time getting accustomed.

One exercise i do in general is: E, G, E, D, E, A, E, D etc. (Open strings). that could help quite a bit (For 6 it'd be: B,C,B,G,B,D,B,A,B,E etc.)
    Hope that makes sense :)

(The sr 506 has 16.5mm string spacing)

11. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'm not sure there is a "most common" spacing, but I would tend to guess that the spacing is generally a bit tighter than a typical Fender 4 string configuration. I have had 6's with 19mm, 18mm, 17.5mm and 17mm. For me, I prefer a bit wider spacing so I usually don't go below an 18mm. Personal preferences, YMMV, etc ... :cool:

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    One of the best 6 string basses for slap work is the Ken Smith. Nice spacing and a great sound for slap work

13. Vypor

Vypor

Oct 12, 2006
    Little Rock, AR
    If your going to get a 6 string, the best 6 string ive played for slapping is the BTB. My 5 string spacing is realy wide so youur fingers rarely get cuaght when you pop and slapping the individual E and A is easy. You can tell just by looking at any bass if its going to be easy to slap or not.

14. Something I used to see mentioned but not so much lately is the fret count. I have a Fender Jazz 5 w/20 frets which slaps much better(for me)than my 24-fret Stambaugh 6. I'm just talking feel here- I think the 5's tone is better suited as well, but the 20 fret basses I've played seem to offer a more ideal right hand position for slapping(closer to the middle of the string's length). Something to consider perhaps, particularly if you intend to use this bass mainly for slap. What would benefit you more- those last 2-4 frets or a better slapper?

15. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    UK
    To be frank and a bit cocky.. slap can be done on ANY amount of strings, irrespective of string spacing.. It just takes a bit of time to get used to it and practice practice practice! ;o)

16. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    Check out Bill Dickens slapping a 7-stringer.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I dont do well with slap on tight string spaced basses and in particular extended range.