1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slapping Bass Technique in Regard to Small String Spacing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Donald Thompson, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Donald Thompson

Donald Thompson

Oct 20, 2018
  2. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I don't think there is any special technique. I have a six string with 14mm spacing and I can slap on it. I even slap on my electric guitar sometimes with even smaller string spacing.

You can try to use more the front of the finger. Don't try to put your whole fingertip under the string when pulling.

gebass6 likes this.
  3. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Well strings spacing is one thing that really can influence your playing especially for some technique as the slap.
    It's true that when you're playing always and only the same instrument you get used even on narrow strings spacing but it's also true that it depends from what kind of lines you have to play ;).
    The fact is that if you have to slap a particular line that require a lot of plucking on "inside" (as the example attached with double stops) strings as A or D (or G if you play a six strings) merged with complex rhythm, then is another story and narrow spacing could be very uncomfortable..
    That's why many players usually, play instruments with the same strings spacing, if you wanna be versatile and be able to play the same thing you do on a regular four strings bass then you always need the 19mm strings spacing, several bassist feel comfortable to use also the 18mm on 5 and 6 strings instruments, others as me prefer just always use the 19, because I can even feel 1mm of difference.
    If you don't wanna feel any limits on your playing when you switch basses then use always or almost the same spacing otherwise you need to get used to play different lines on different basses ;)

ibasso and Spin Doctor like this.
  4. What strings do you have on that Ibanez?

5. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Tighter string spacing makes no difference really. You can actually play slap technique on a guitar, so tighter spacing on a bass should be a non-issue. It just means you move your hand less to get to the next string. While there may be a slight adaptation period from moving between basses, your technique will quickly adjust to the new spacing through practice.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Les Fret likes this.
  6. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    DR LoRider Stainless Steel

Spin Doctor likes this.
  7. Nice. You get a great sound out of them. They really fit your playing style. I'm a big DR fan.

enricogaletta likes this.
  8. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Thank you so much man, glad you enjoyed it. I'm using these model since a decade, I found them so versatile, at the first approach, people think they're are too bright, but I think you can really get several tones from them, plus they are soft as butter ;)!

Spin Doctor likes this.
  9. Well, Stainless Steels are bright, but they are supposed to be. They work well for what you play. I use DR Sunbeams, because they are more mellow, but I'm still working on controlling my tone with my hands to make it sound the way I want.

10. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    That's it Spin, I definitely agree with you, everything starts from the hands ;-)

Spin Doctor likes this.
  11. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    Like others have said - string spacing is not a factor and I regularly slap on my guitars. However, low action and a relatively flat neck are critical for me. For that reason, I have a tough time slapping on most basses until the action is lowered. I like it just before it buzzes with fret noise.