slapping left hand muting

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Clanker, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Hi all,

Are there any good videos out there about left hand muting (for slap) where the note is not played on an open string but is a fretted note? I need to clean up my technique and make the notes clearer. Any advice or links welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Fretting hand muting is covered starting at @3:30 . . . you might also want to check out some of his other slap lessons, just search TalkingBass Slap on YT.

dkelley and Charlzm like this.
  3. And if you want to go into more detail . . .

Charlzm likes this.
  4. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Thanks for that :) Wish he'd devote a whole lesson to it though.

5. He talks about the "home position" a lot, so you might want to check out some of his other stuff. These were just the first 2 vids that came to mind . . .

Clanker likes this.
  6. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    Will do! Thank you :)

7. He also has a paid slap course on his web site. And none of his courses are what I would call expensive. You might want to shoot him an email and see how far he gets into the "home position" technique in that course. He also holds live study group sessions on Facebook (I think) for those enrolled in his courses to ask questions and he'll do mini seminars.

8. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    I've seen his videos before on YouTube. Kind of hard not to :) He is good. Don't think I'd pay for it though. Thanks again :)

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Dave LaRue of the Steve Morse band has an old vid which covers left hand technique.

dkelley, The Deep and Clanker like this.
  10. HobbySatanist

HobbySatanist

Jan 19, 2020
    Reykjavik
    Clanker likes this.
  11. I swear on this one. Smart basic cleaning excersises.

dkelley, Jamie_Funk and Clanker like this.
  12. Cool thread! Since I'm entirely self taught in slap other than about 10 minutes when i was 13 years old, this is super cool to study now that I'm 50 and constantly trying to improve and clean up my playing :)

Clanker likes this.
  13. Clanker

Clanker

Feb 1, 2020
    I started a few years ago when I was about 40. Its tough but its been worth it. Have learned a lot. Never too old! :)

dkelley likes this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I used to have this DVD and it came with a free digital copy of the video as well as the booklet. It has been a few years but I remember it being a pretty good video. Much better than Chris Squires' DVD I got at the same time out of the blow-out bin.

While the physical copy is out of print permanently, they still sell a digital version. I don't mind sharing the booklet but I won't post it publicly. I'm sure it can be easily found online though.