Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

slapping trouble

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by paniak17, Mar 24, 2004.

1. were are you supposed to slap on the fretboard? and can someone give me some advice?

2. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Man, I am your saviour today ;)

Alright check it, first of all, You should be slapping with your thumb pointing up (or parallel). Some people can slap fairly well with their thumb pointing down, but generally I find it easier to do with my thumb at about a 50 degree angle.

Now, unless you're planning on double thumpin', the part of the bass that is most commonly slapped would be pretty damn close to the heel of the neck. After you strink the string with the boney part of your thumb (or the fleshy part, whatever gets you off), let it bounce off naturally. Leaving your thumb there wont give you the desired sound. Also, taking your thumb back is really inefficient.

I would also like to note that slapping any desired scale can be helpful in increasing your accuracy.

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I generally slap closer to the bridge, because I just get a better sound from there. Most people slap the strings closer to the neck of the bass. Slapping is something that takes time to learn, if you want to get it right. But experiment with slapping in different spots to find what works best for you.

If you have questions about slap, or anything, try to do a search first to see if there is anything someone else has posted that may help you out.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=84069