1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slapping with Right fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 12, 2010.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i looked for a good while so forgive me if this has been covered.

Does anyone else ever use their right (non fretting hand) fingers to slap with? - i.e., whacking the strings with the tips of the index and middle finger typewriter style where the neck meets the body (the typical thumb slap zone). Meanwhile the left hand frets the string as usual. I don't use it much but it has a weird sound you can't get with the thumb (or i cant - :p)

2. I have done this sometimes, especially since my middle finger 'pops' in and out of joint, like a lever.

I'm not really a slapper though - I mean, I don't have a need for the sound, though I can do it - so I haven't really bothered to explore it.

I prefer to hit my strings with a drum stick :D

3. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca

Seen this?

4. meet Jayen Varma, the fastest slap bass player or so he says

5. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy

Oct 23, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Doug Wimbish does that quite a bit.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    rats, another patent down the drain............:D

i mostly use it for intervals like a slapped I-V. i could see (hear) in that video that he gets the same sound i do using the fingers - it's just a bit different than the thumb sound.

7. Richard Bona does it sometimes too.
    he does it in that ridiculous lick at 21 seconds

8. bacehead

bacehead

Dec 3, 2008
    to me that looks like a classical guitar tech. called fanning .... man what a trick tho

9. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I used to try to slap with my fingers. It was only because I couldn't slap with my thumb at the time, though.