1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

slide bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 60's Bluesman, May 6, 2010.

1. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    maybe this is a noob question but is there such thing as a slide bass? using bottle neck thingy like dunae allman or george harrison but on a bass. anybody do it or know someone who does it? i love that sound on guitar and id like to try it out on bass but idk if it can be done

2. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    Check out the band Morphine, all 2 string slide bass

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I wouldn't say that Duane Allman or George Harrison are the best examples of bottleneck blues. I personally haven't heard someone play bottleneck bass. I've tried once or twice to dissatisfying results. Maybe with a lot of gain...

4. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I used to use one of these ground rod clamps, we were doing NiN "Terrible Lie" and had no keys, so I used the "slide" on my right ring finger, during the chorus part I would use the slide for the one part, and hammer the other with my left hand...

(the ground clamp had a rough finish and I ground and polished it before using)

5. Unwound

Unwound

Aug 10, 2007
    Ridgecrest, CA
    it can be done, for sure. check out the band morphine, the sandman pretty much refined it. If you do decide to pick it up, think outside of the box and you'll definitely come up with something unique. i mean after all, the world definitely needs more curious musicians like you.

6. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    you and one other dude on here said check out mophine, ive never heard of them before. i love that music, great sound, im getting a bottle neck tmmrw lol

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Slide bass ... play a fretless

8. Glass before brass, and the thicker the better. I used to play psychedelic improv with a Jazz+, a thick glass slide and an Ibanez AD9. It was an awesome sound. You will need to raise the action to avoid fretting out.
    Mark Sandman and I are the only bassists I know of who got deep into slide.

9. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I do a lot of slides in some of the songs that I play (and the one i wrote) and never bothered looking for those bottleneck things. Why not just use your fingertips?

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Because it's a different sound when you use a slide.

My band opened for Morphine once, Sandman totally killed it. So sad he's gone.

11. Unwound

Unwound

Aug 10, 2007
    Ridgecrest, CA
    awesome! i hope it works out for you, and if anything you could make some pretty interesting noises in conjunction with effects, assuming of course thats your thing haha.
    ohh, and one more thing..it might seem like common sense, but don't actually push down with the slide to fret notes, just let it glide like butter over the top of the strings and your in business.

12. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    yep and raise up the action, does it matter tho what strings i use?

13. I think its a great idea...

Maybe then people will start picking on you and leave slap bass alone... :p:bag:

People stopped bashing pick players when slap came along...

Randy

14. Unwound

Unwound

Aug 10, 2007
    Ridgecrest, CA
    generally id say the brighter the better, because with brighter strings you can hear the little nuances, but it really doesnt matter...i guess im trying to say that most of the sound comes from the technique haha.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've been doing it for a few decades. A fretless bass makes it much easier. I use a big solid soft brass slide, similar to what pedal steel players use. A lot of times I use it in my right hand, like a bow, rather than the way most guitarists do. Either way gets some interesting effects, but you will need to really work on string damping to get the most out of it.

Here's an example

The same cut's also on my MySpace, http://www.myspace.com/passinwind , if that's easier for you.The cut is Termination Dust. That's my '77 Travis Bean fretless BTW.

16. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    lol glass before brass
    purely a matter of preference, I prefer brass slides for guitar too, more mass, not as thin sounding

17. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    sounds like we used similar technique, only I used a smaller version (could slide on 2 strings at a time). and you were doing it well before me!! lol I guess I pulled it out in the early to mid 90's to fill some space in a trio

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I definitely like the sound of glass better. Given that the strings vibrate so much more on a bass, I find that the brass seems to sound more like fret buzz. The glass is considerably more forgiving in that regard.

19. darkhorse9

darkhorse9

Mar 28, 2010
    would flatwound strings make a difference over roundwound? I'm guessing they would.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I actually heard a clip of Phil Lesh doing it with a wine bottle or something like that back in the late 60s -- the boot I heard it on in the early 70s was on reel to reel!