1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Slight Warping and My OCD

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Von Fett, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Von Fett

Von Fett

Sep 1, 2011
    I went through a few different string selections lately, finally settling on D'Addario Chromes. The tension has created a really subtle slope on the side of the G string. However, on the side of the E string, the neck is perfectly straight.

I'm wondering if this means I should give the truss rod a crank or if I should just roll with it. It doesn't really affect my playing, but I am stickler for perfection.

It's a Squier VM J-Bass, for the record.

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    It's not uncommon for necks to have slightly different relief on either side. I generally split the difference. If the action sets where you want it with ill effects, don't worry. You could easily spend much more than the bass is worth to get it corrected.

mech

3. Do you want more relief or less? That will determine what to do. From your question, I get the impression that you don't know very much about proper bass setups. Maybe you should read the sticky notes and look at the links that explain it all to you. It is something every bass player should know.
    Rocky