Slightly more portable amp :P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ben-is-Bass, Jan 23, 2009.

1. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I would look elsewhere

2. Behringer is above everything else affordable ...
    But my guess is that the difference in power (350 watts vs 90 watts) will be disappointing.

And if you take out the amp and put in a gigbag or rackcase?

3. My friend,

That is a step in the wrong direction! Hartke is good entry level gear, because it is dependable. Behringer, well, not so much. I don't know if you have the 3500VX (i.e. 4x10 combo) or not, but if you do I can see why your parents are saying it is a bit on the heavy side. You will not have enough power to do gigs with a 90 Watt combo.

Let your parents know that for the most part bass gear is heavy, but that you are more than willing to get stronger by carrying your gear everywhere you go rather than be found anemic in sound.

A friend of mine recently sold his Hartke 3500 head, and bought a class D amp head. He is very happy with the Genz-Benz shuttle 6.0 that pumps 600 Watts @ 4 Ohms and only weights 4 pounds. And he reduced weight in his cab by getting a 4 Ohm 4x10 with neodymium magnets, his argument was that every show he plays he get PA support and there is no point in hauling around gear that weighs a ton.

I don't think getting a head and cab is cheap, but it might help you reduce the weight if that is the route that you want to go down. My advice is to save up some cash and get light weight equipment that sounds good to your ears. All the best. Cheers.

4. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm not sure I see the point of that amp. Here are the situations I find myself in:

1) Playing along with recordings

2) Playing with acoustic instruments (piano, guitar, hand percussion)

3) Playing with amplified music (electric guitars and drums)

It looks like you've got the expensive one (scenario 3) covered. scenarios 1 and 2 can be covered by one amp. I usually get by with my little Fender RAD Bass amp for those. 25 watts into a 10" speaker. It's always been enough. The Behringer looks like too much or too little for any situation. It fills no void, except perhaps for some non-playing marketer somewhere.

The RAD became the BXR 25 and then the Bassman 25. I love that amp. If you can't find one, the Peavey Minx (I think that's the one) enjoys a decent reputation and few have ever said Peavey was unreliable. People have in the past questioned their sound quality, which I don't think is a problem anymore, but they build good stuff. My RAD has been going strong for 15 years. Also, the new Acoustic amps have been getting good reviews for bang-for-the-buck(AUS).

I'd suggest keeping the specs under control so you can use the excess in quality. I haven't heard a lot of good things about Behringer amps.

Good luck.

KO

5. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a list of brands available in your area would help.

this is reason # 347 why i don't like combo amps.

with a head and seperate cabs you can bring a little cab to practice, and more cabs to gigs.

ok i'm done preaching.............:p

6. Heh heh this is why i ask forums what to get instead of buying it and then asking if it's good :p thanks for the input :)

I'm not in my own band at the moment, i'm only in the school stage band (flutes, trumpets and the whole shibang)

What's one of the most reliable bass amp brands?

A lighter head aye...?

Well i'm willing to spend $400-700 on a new head if so...

So inform me about wattage :rolleyes: what role does a certain amount of watts play in a head?

7. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    grab you a halfway decent 110 cabinet and use the hartke... that's what my practice rig is for the living room

8. Can you post a link to that cabinet because i can't seem to find it :confused:

9. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    not sure what they have in australia, what brands are available?

10. These are the bass amp brands that i can get in Australia:

Hartke, Mark Bass, Behringer, Fender, Gallien Krueger, Rolland, Rumble, Ashton, Ibanez and Marshall.

Here's the link to the site where i got my Hartke HA3500 from

http://www.allansmusic.com.au/productlist.aspx?c=30A1F1F0-F299-4976-B6E1-CC2808F6AA2E#cb=1

Look through them amps and let me know what's best and if i have to fork out a little bit more cash than intended but within reason that it's worth it and not too much more than i was willing to pay :smug:

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ben, you should read the amp sticky up in the top of the lounge that ivanmike put together. its most helpful. and it'll better allow us to help you. but good luck, always good to see the youngsters find the low end!

12. IvanMike

IvanMike TTRPG enthusiast, Happy, Joyous, & Free. Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so is the real issue the weight or how much room it takes up in the auto?

maybe you don't have to do anything at the moment except tell your parents to be glad you didn't take up sousaphone

13. I've done some reading and i'm thinking of perhaps going for the Mark Bass even tho it requires me to fork out another $500 i think that it'll be better for practices when used with my Hartke VX410 4x10 VX Series Bass Speaker Cabinet.

http://www.allansmusic.com.au/Product.aspx?p=125994&b=Markbass

What's your thoughts on this?

14. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    i would rather play my bass unplugged than with a Behringer....

15. Hey guys i've found a better store with more equipment to choose from :D

The other amps that i couldn't get before were

Genz Benz, Ampeg, Ashdown, Crate, Legacy, Line 6, Mesa Boogie and SWR.

Can you guys look through these cabinets and tell me which i should get? i'm thinking of using my ZOOM B2 effects pedal as a temp head for practices. Is this a stupid thing to do?

Here's the site

https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=browse&id=40

16. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    im not sure what markbass you will find in the 400-700 range unless it fell off the back of a truck! prices for a combo start around $1700 if you can haggle guys down, but many suppliers have bumped up retail prices by 300 or more dollars

it sounds like youre relatively new to bass, so dont worry about buying an expensive amp until your ears are atuned to the sound you like best. that takes a number of years

17. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    Ben - check out both of these sites...

www.basscentre.com.au
    www.basspeople.com.au

You will find a much much better range of bass amps than either Billy Hydes or Allans. And if you ring either of these fine establishments, you will probably get a better price than on their sites - although they are great prices anyway...for Oz.

Also, these guys know their bass gear. I have found a whole 2 people in all the Allans and BHs stores I have stepped into that know anything about bass gear. So call them and ask them what they have and what will do the job.

Having said that, you will go pretty good with the Markbass gear. Just explain to your folks that you are better off saving money for something that is more reliable and better quality and put up with the weight a little longer so you can save!! Not that there is any major issue with the Hartke stuff you have really - apart from it's size!

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Your bass amp is awesome.

Get a roof rack for the car.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021