Small acoustic gigging, anyone?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tsal, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just a thought,

I noticed there's an absence of small acoustic'ish groups playing in bars around here. Yet, there was a small acoustic gig in a pub tonight, one of the three guitarists was a well-known older figure in Finnish music scene and the place was packed despite the early time and five bucks at the door.

Seems to me most bands and their bros' are going for massive electrified nu-metal and such. The thing just is, you need large venues for that kind of groups, and meanwhile the smaller bars rely on jukebox or perhaps a karaoke, if they're lucky.

So, what kind of acoustic projects have you had, how has it worked and whadda you think of the whole subject?

I thought of something like guitar or two or perhaps a small keyboard to accompany my bass, perhaps no bass at all, maybe some vocs and such, doing folkish coves for small charge..

A acoustic project would also be bit easier with the practice space issue we have in Finland - it's all good! :smug:
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The Elusive Teeth is just such a group. One or two guitars, vox and me on bass. We're looking at the possibility of adding drums and keys in order to try new things with some of the songs but there will still be a core group that can perform acoustically or semi-acoustically.

We've played quite a few open-mic nights, which tend to be free admission. You don't make any money but you get an evenings entertainment (listening to music instead of being assaulted by noise), including the chance to perform your own stuff. For my current tastes, it can't be beat!