Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Small combo misbehaving

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by astronauts_suck, Oct 10, 2005.

1. My Behringer (yes I know...) BX1200 120 watt combo is acting rather strange. I plug in the other day and after only 30 seconds or so, it just sorta dies. The preamp still works, all the lights come on, and I can play with phones, but the speaker won't work. So I check out the speaker, it's fine. I take it to a friend who has a good idea about how this kinda crap works, and when he plugged it in and turned it on, it worked. So I then take it home, plug in, still works fine. A little later, it dies again. I hit it, it works...for 30 seconds.

Any ideas what the problem might be?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hmm...hopefully just a bad connection somewhere.

Either open it up and look for a loose wire/bad solder joint/loose cable connection and fix it or if you haven't done that kind of thing before get the help of a freind who has or take it in.

:D

Joe.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its Behringer, its disposable. It'll likely cost less to replace than to have professionally serviced, UNLESS its still under warranty.

Sounds like a power transformer problem to me. Nothing you can do yourself.

4. It's not a power transformer problem if the amp keeps working with headphones when it dies, and just the main speaker cuts out.

If you're confident opening it up, open it and look for bad connections and loose wires as previously mentioned.

Particularly considering that it seems intermittent, and that hitting it can bring it back to life.

Most likely a bad speaker wire connection or dry solder joint somewhere.

Good luck.

:bassist:

5. I'd put that little bast*rd in time out and see if he learns a lesson. If this fails, Ritalin seems to a popular parenting trend. Up next: on to corporal punishment. Weekly beatings with a little therapy is the way to go (keeps 'em guessing).

Another option is wrapping it in a blanket and leaving it on another musician's doorstep.

Mike

6. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Loose connections are the MOST likely problem.
    If the phones are working then the main amp is still on.
    Open it up and look on the speaker and see if those wires are firmly attached. If they are then follow them to where they connect to the amp and see if they are firmly attached THERE.
    You will probably see either a connector just about falling off or a connector that has failed.
    If the speaker wires are connected to the amp or the speaker with crimped connectors check the crimps and see if the wire is loose in the crimp. The crimped connections can be a trouble spot if they have been poorly crimped.

Repost or PM if you need more help.
    Dave

7. rockindillo

rockindillo

Oct 10, 2005
    Yes, but they're AMAZING little amps for the money, when they're working, aren't they?
    For small gigs and jams they're ideal...
    Can't wait to try the new BXs that are due out later this year - the 180w 1x15 looks just the ticket.

8. The only problem is they're so cheap they're usually not worth repairing.

Wait, that's not a problem, it means you saved money buying it.... Cheaper to buy 2 than buy 1 expensive amp and getting it fixed...

Randy

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Take a really close look at the circuit board, using bright light and magnifying glass if necessary, taking care not to get yourself electrocuted of course. Pay particularly close attention to places where jacks and controls are attached. Also, if the headphone jack is designed to de-activate the speakers when something is plugged in, then the problem could be the jack itself. Cracked circuit boards are another possibility.

I have always had good luck with amp manufactuers sending me a schematic on request.

10. Yes, but Behringer will most likely have to request it from somebody else!

:bag:

Sorry :D Couldn't resist!

:bassist:

11. Yep. Toss it and get another. Even if it is under warranty Behringer's customer service is so notoriously bad you'll be a little old bassist before it ever gets fixed.

12. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Really?

There is a Behringer rep that frequents alt.guitar.bass that gets things done.

:D

Joe.