Small Combo Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassManJim, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hi

I am thinking about getting a 100 watt combo amp for practice, recording and maybe experimenting using it at small gigs (bars)and maybe miking it. Until now I have been going direct on stage and practicing with a headphone amp. I play mostly Blues (Albert King and John Lee Hooker type stuff with some classic rock thrown in at times). My main bass is a "Geddy"

I don't really want to spend more than $500.00 on it though, and I think I would prefer a 15" speker

Been looking at the new Fender "Rumble 100" and the SWR
    "LA 15", but would be open to other ideas.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Thanks ........Jim
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Yorkville XM200 :hyper:

I actually have the XM200C-thats the carpet covered version.

With tax and shipping, I paid $401.45 from Rock City Guitars in Somerville, MA.
  3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Don't get the Rumble 100, get the Bassman 100. Musiciansfriend is clearing them out or something for $250
  4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

You might want to check out a Peavey TNT...
    160 watts with a single 15..
    very good sound and just about indestructible....
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Carvin sells some nice stuff, not too expensive

6. onother one here for the yorkie good stuff man good stuff better sound than peavey and almost indistructable for more or less the same price
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    the rumble, the peavey TNT, and the yorkville xm200 all meet your requirements...
  8. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Ampeg BA115. 100 Watts.

Nice Ampeg tone and can be had for less than $500.00.

The Piezo will hiss a little but the amp sounds great.
  9. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'll second the Bassman. Or, if you want to spend a little more, the Bassman 400 PRO is quite possibly the best under $3000 amp I've ever heard.
  10. Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I've got Rumble 100 in this latest sale. I think was like $300. Good for me enough. It has all features necessary for good amp, except those red lights at the bottom. I already swithed them off. Actually, just cut wires. I mean. I felt like playing in "Boney M" or "Saturday Night Fever"... :meh:

Pleanty of power, 15" + some piezo fine... I tried SWR and didn't like it. Rumble is just what I need for the blues.
  11. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Ampeg B100-r is right up your alley.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yep.....look no where else. There is nothing better than the B100-R for your needs.

13. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm selling a Yorkville XM200TC if you are interested. It's brand new in the Box and can be yours for $400.00 shipped.
  14. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
  15. I'll second the Ampeg B100R. Another amp to consider would be the Fender Bassman 200 - last time I looked MF had them for $350. Also, the Yorkie suggestions are great - used to have the XM200 - VERY nice little amp!
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would think this would be a good choice, and I'm not even much of an Ampeg fan. Sounded nice to me when I tried one. Didn't know you could get it for under $500, though. Carvin PB200-15 might work for you too ($349 plus shipping).

Don't think much of the SWR LA series, myself. Yorkville is nearly always good value IME.
  17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I like SWR - don't get the LA series. Not good. Nothing wrong with a WM15.
  18. Thanks for all the input everybody!

I hadn't really heard of Yorkville before, and never had any experience with Ampeg combos. Also I had completely forgotten about Peaveys :meh:

I guess the SWR LA series doesn't live up to its own publicity either. :eyebrow:

I guess I'm gonna research Yorkville,Ampeg and Peavey a little more and then make my decision!

Although right now, I am thinking either the Fender Bassman 100 or the Peavey TNT115 :cool:

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Jim.....why not the Ampeg B100-R? It sounds way better than the Peavey.

20. Another very satisfied Ampeg B100R user here.

I used to have a Fender Bassman 60, and I loved the tone, but one day the tone controls just stopped working.

So, when I asked about a good replacement, I got so many recommendations for the Ampeg B100R. The B100R will get you about as close to tube vibe as you can get without actually buying a tube amp. At 65lbs it's a little on the heavy side for a 100 watt x 15 amp, but I think the weight is due to solid construction, and I think this is why they sound so good.

I also bought an SWR LA10 recently. 35 watts into a 10 and it weighs 33lbs. It's got pretty good tone for a small practice amp.

Get the Ampeg. ;)