1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Small crack on the back were the sound post is, help!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Inconnu, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Hi!
    Picked up my upright for a bit of fun tonight and, surprise, I see a crack!

Now I need your help!

I'm mainly an electric bass player, so the upright, well I play it at home for fun and that's it. But I love that thing and take care of it. It hasn't went to the luthier much, but since I don't carry it around and it stays in the same room, were I try to control humidity as best as I can, I wasn't worrying. My electrics are all fine and I barely need to just setups in season changes.

Anyways, here's the thing. My upright is a plywood Strunal. It has a little bump where the sound post is. On the front, you can barely see it, but it is there, just under the foot of the bridge. On the back, it's there too but it seems, maybe, to have gotten bigger. A luthier once told me not to worry about that too much, he said it happens and it's not all that bad. But tonight, I saw a small crack just were the bump is on the back. The crack is about a half a inch long. It is superficial right now, it looks more like a crack in the finish but I can see a thin pale line, and feel it too.

Now my immediate reaction was to detune the upright bass a little, to remove some pressure. Am I doing the right thing?

What else can I do to help the bass right now?

I'm getting nervous about this and I won't have access to a luthier for at least 3 weeks, as most businesses are closed around here right now because of the Covid-19.

I really need your help!

2. Oh, and the superficial crack goes from left to right (not from up to down), if that changes anything.

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Not much of an expert but you can't go wrong with taking pressure off a crack. I do know that neither your top nor your back should distort from the sound post. It sounds like you may need a winter sound post after the crack is repaired.

4. Slack the strings, knock the sound post down, and wait until you can have the post trimmed by a professional.

210superair, dhergert and LaFaro01 like this.
  5. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Yep! They might also put in a reinforcing patch, inside the body, to stop any cracks or bumps from growing. Not as complicated as it sounds, and can be done through the f-holes (rather than taking off the top).