Small Heads - PB800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryR, Oct 16, 2006.

1. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I use an Ashdown ABM 500 as my main head. I remember reading a post about an unhappy ABM owner re: "too much compression in the head". The head doesn't have a compressor, but, I think I know what this guy's talking about. Seems Ashdown may have some type of circut going on for last night I felt this "compression". I've never felt this "restriction" in Ampeg gear so I was wondering if there's a classic Ampeg tone in a small SS head? I thought of the Ampeg Portabass PB series, but, there's very little info on the PB800. Reading the posts it seems Ampeg took 2 years to get it out and yet very few posts / users. What about the Mesa Walkabout? Solid rock head in a small package?

Note that I'm excluding Eden, SWR or GK here as I don't recall they have that aggressive Ampeg honk. I liked my Eden WT600 and GK always gives a good sound inexpensively. But, again I'm looking for that old Acoustic / Ampeg vintage tone in a small package. Any comments, suggestions?

2. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    bp reviewed the pb800 in the april 2005 issue... i can send you a scan of the review if you want- pm me your email address... the review describes the tone as "clean and clear" ... no mention of the trademark ampeg "honk"

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021