1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

small powerfull combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yvon, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm looking for small practice amp. At the same time, I would like it to be powerfull enough (if I had an extension cab) to play with a band. Not a very loud band though.
    I was looking for the phil jones suitcase, it would be perfect. But it would be over 2000$ here after taxes, shipping, borders fee etc...
    I think that ampeg has a 2X8 combo that is quite powerfull that could do the job.
    Anything else?
    Under 1000 USD if possible?

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If weight matters, think GK 112MB. Italmelodie also carries Markbass, also not cheap. If you want great tone and enough power to drive an extension, you'll be hard-pressed to get in under 1K US. For a touch more, however, you can get a Mesa Walkabout Scout or an Eden small combo you'll love forever and not need to upgrade anytime in the forseeable future.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    thanks lomo, last time I went at ital they didn't have those mark combo. I should receive my new bass in a near futur and I will go there and try some of these amps.
    But here in montreal we don't have many choices...

Weight matters a little, but I want the combo to be as small as possible. I don't have much place at home where I practice my bass. A 2X10 would be too big. maybe a 1X10 or a 1X12 with and extension cab when I need it would be nice.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Genz Benz NEOX 400-112T. 425 watts with extension. Plenty loud by itself. I have been using the combo by itself at band practice and I'm not anywhere near it's volume limits. I purchased mine for under $1,000.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Markbass may be the best choice. I live 90 min from Mtl in upstate NY but have a place in NDG and could help you with transport of other brands, but then you'd be buying without trying. Si t'aimerais faire ca, appele moi un soir a 5184838188.
    cheers

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Any of these thump with a low B? Mine would be for just practice in my apartment, but I don't want something that would crap out at a reasonable volume when I go low.

I was thinking the old SWR 12 WM Combo... thoughts?

7. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The new Trace Elliot combos look pretty tasty.

8. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    What might be just up your alley then is the Epifani 112UL combo. You can add a 110UL or another 112UL ext. to it.
    Even the SWR Baby Baby Blue with 2x8" spkr's.

9. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the SWR WM 10 sounds nice and can be had cheap. not as light as a GK MB 150, but consider the price.

10. Use whatever head you want and get two 1x12 cabs of your choice, that's can be as small or as big as you'll ever need pretty much.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Mesa Walkabout combo.
    Single 12" speaker, 300 watts.
    Sounds like tubes, with 12' extention cab can do any gig.

12. chf3354

chf3354

Jan 26, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    hi ,if you are looking really cheap and good mcheck out behringers 12 and 15s bass combos they have ,i was playing around ny with a bx1200 and with the xlr output going to the pa ,no problem you can tackle everything thrown at you chf3354;) ;) ;)

13. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    +1. Whenever my combo dies on me, I'm going this direction - I'll pick up some flavor of powerful tube amp head, and then I'll have 2x12 and 4x10 cabs for the "big" rig, and a nice 1x10 cab for those smaller gigs.

As far as small amps with kick go...

Another vote for the SWR Workingman's 10. Loudest little tiny SOB I've heard. I cranked it up with a 5 string in the store, and it rattled the guitars on the wall. No problems.

Also, consider the Orange "Crush" series of bass amps. The 10 probably won't have the oomph you want out of it, but the 12 is very light and has some amazing punch. It can also drive an extension speaker.

The new Fender Bassman is the second hottest 10" combo I've heard... quite possibly THE hottest, since I've never tried it and the SWR side by side.

Hmmm... there was this one Behringer 10" combo that totally and completely rocked, but every other one I've tried has sucked.

14. chf3354

chf3354

Jan 26, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    hi ,if you want a relly chap and good bass combo ,check out behringers 12 and 15s ,i was using a bx1200 all around ny ,with the xlr going to the pa you can handle anything and i never had a problem with it ,i still have it! now days i am using an essex bass combo by vox ,but it is hotroded with a peavey bw and with a peavey combo 300 amp ,all neatly put away into the essex ,all controls are on top of the cab ,it looks like a regular essex . chf3354

15. chf3354

chf3354

Jan 26, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    i do not know how 2 of my messages got in there ???? i meant only one??? chf3354

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden CXC combos are also KILLER, using coaxial drivers which I think sound fantastic. I LOVE the CXC-110, and you can even pop the head out with 4 screws and use it standalone, since it's their standard head just bolted in.

Also, the Roland Cube 100 is great.

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1

I've tried the combo thing so many times and always arrive back at an amp head and various cabinets. A nice portable head and various cabinets give you so much more versatility. My current ultimate small & portable rig is an Eden WT-550 and a Berg HT-112. What an awesome sound!
    My Roscoe straped to my back, the Eden in a gig bag in one hand and the Berg HT-112 (38 lbs) in the other hand.

It doesn't get any better than that!;)

18. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Choice of Combo involves trade-offs considering:
    Tone
    Volume of Air movement
    Weight
    Cost
    Durability
    Extendability
    Set up complexity
    Footprint

There is no single perfect combo. When someone makes something the size of the GK MB150 combo that cranks like an SVT, we'll all line up and buy it. Until then, we'll keep having these discussions.

For my needs at the moment, the Nemesis NC-410 seems to be the best balance.