small rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philwill1, Oct 18, 2003.

1. philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Okay guys I'm trying to put together a small rig. First of all my band only plays small venues in local churches and for the most part we are not trying to be heard on the moon. I'm going to get to avatar CB112's and a peavey max 450 head. On really small venues i will just take one of the 112 and on medium venues i will take both. My question is when i purchase the 112's should I get the cabs in 4ohm or 8 ohm. Can the peavey handle 2 ohm for about 2 hours or will it fry itself or will it fry the speakers. I would like to get the full 450 out of it that it says it can handle but I know sometimes manufacturers don't exactly give you the straight skinny so I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this type of setup
  2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    From my experience with Peavey heads they can run all night at 2 ohms and work just as well as when you first plugged it in. Peavey gear is built like a tank, dont expect it to break lol.:D

3. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Provided that Avatar cabinets are truly 4 ohms and not 3.? or something... you will be fine with 2 4-ohm cabinets. I am not up on how efficient these cabinets are. If they are very efficient (103 dB/W/M or so...) then probably 2 8's are fine! The Peavey is a sturdy piece of equipment and you will not be playing it anywhere near maximum volume (according to your statement). No need to worry. It should be stable into the 2-ohm load for 2 hours or more and your speakers will be fine. Provide adequate ventilation for the head unit! Don't forget that.

Another question might be why do you need 450 watts for a medium venue? But, that aside, as long as you don't push the amp into serious clipping, you will not damage the speakers in any way.

My experience with Peavey is that they do what the company says it will do. It is more a question of whether or not you like the Peavey sound.

Happy hunting.
  4. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    The Peavey will be fine. I had the Nitrobass head (now called the Max 450) and ran it at two ohms all the time for a couple of years. As has been said, the amp is a tank.

As far as the sound goes, you might want to try it next to a couple of other heads before commiting. I needed to run mine with a Sans Amp BDDI to be happy with it. I also liked the amp better when playing active basses versus my passive ones.

Again, try it out. It is absolutly bullet proof and will take anything you give it. (It's also a very loud, clean 450 watts!)

Good Luck!

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm always a fan of getting 8 ohm speakers for one reason only
    ya never know if 2 years from now you will be so sick of the pv you wanna die and you suddenly think that joe x's amp is the best thing in the world but............darn thing only powers down to 4 ohms so you're outta luck
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I think the impedance choice for the CB112 on the Avatar site is a misprint. I don't believe that Eminence makes a Delta 12LF in 4 ohms...just 8 and 16 ohms.

I'd recommend that you shoot Dave an email and confirm that a 4 ohm 1x12 is really available.