1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Smallest all tube amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Inconnu, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Combo or really small stack, great sound, no need to be loud, cheaper the better.

Any options?

2. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Hotone nano legacy Thunder bass. 5 watt tube(I believe)amp. I haven't heard one but it looks interesting.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Those are little plate starved hybrids like the orange micros.

Maybe something like the Khan pak amp
    Pak Amp

Ashdown Ctm15

A lot of companies are making little lunch box guitar heads in the 5-20 watt range. Depends on what you need to get out of a tiny tube amp

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Search for an Ashdown LB30. Unbelievable little amp. (Head) Most demo videos or horrible. The overdrive on it is thin and ugly. But it's a simple Fendet style passive tone stack with some switches that make it interesting. Its clean to "furry" tone is fantastic.

The XLR out is a tap off the output transformer. So the power tubes are included in that sound. Great for recording.

I run mine live on stages with an Epifani UL410 cab (1100W cab). It kills. Yes, you read that correctly. That little head throws down with that cab.

It's a neat little 30W tube head. Pair it with the tiny cab of your choice.

5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    1) what's that? 2) like just a 12ax7 or something for show and a class d for power?

Ampeg has a pair of small and slightly less small tube heads- the PF20T and PF50T. Lots of people say nice things about them, among the nice things are that they sound a little bit like an earlier model by the brand which I happen to like a lot... the B15n tumblr_mu7e6mc3qo1sbmmp8o1_1280.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Low voltage. Yes sort of, though not necessarily class D, but that’s how the micro terror and similar amps work. Solid state devices with a low voltage tube for color. I was actually confusing the hotone with those. The hotone aren’t even hybrids, they’re entirely solid state.

7. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    That is not a tube amp. It is a ss amp.

Small tube amps are:

Ashdown CTM15
    (it is not a full tube"!) image.
    Ampeg PF-20T
    image.
    Ampeg PF-50T
    image.
    or the new Ashdown CTM30 LS

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Meh you're all too big.
    Check the Hughes & Kettner BATT, 5w of full tube glory.

8852275_orig.

9. François: that H&K is cute, but could be hard to find here in Québec! That company got a limited distribution around here in the 90’s.

Anyways, a cheap guitar combo with a new speaker perhaps?

10. Corrrr! I wonder if H&K are still making the BATT/Bassmaster?

11. Doesn’t look like it according to their website.

rodl2005 likes this.
  12. Pity. That it could run without a load made it interesting. Most small tube amps. . Guitar ones mostly.. need to have a speaker attached. . So running as a pre amp is just that much sillier. Unless one grabs a dummy load thingy. :wacky:
    Plus of course. . The pre amp was built with bass guitar in mind... Most small wattage guitar tube amps don't REALLY eq for bass well. Ime anyway

13. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

I own an Ashdown CTM-30 and it's great. It does get dirty if you're into it. It's loud, plenty for a gig.

I have also played the Ampeg tube portoflex 20 and 50 watt versions. I liked them both. The Ashdown is honestly louder than the 50W Ampeg. Although I would say both manufacturers have different voices. Play both brands if you can and decide for yourself.

14. mikewalker likes this.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I play through one in a practice sapce...it belongs to the drummer. It easily puts out that "old school" tube amp sound, expecially if you fuss a bit with the EQ switches. Fun amp if you're after coloration.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think I read that the LB30 has a Fenderish tone stack. So start with the knobs at 2-10-2 and that's closer to flat. Bass and treble are boost and mids is cut. Once you get to flat, throw the switches both ways to see which way you prefer them. Then tweek to taste.

17. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    Not tube! Just looks like it.

18. Tanner5382, GrooverMcTube and aproud1 like this.
  19. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive. Had one of these in the early 90's. 5 watt amp. swrioverdrive.