Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Smallstone whine?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 21, 2006.

1. a couple days ago at practice i was messing around with my smallstone and hitting some heavy stuff on the low b, didnt have the head cranked up, but it was pretty loud still...

anyway, after i stopped i noticed a slight whine sound coming from my amp, barely noticable, but definately there. I turned the power off and on, still there, switched cables still there. etc etc. finally i unplugged the small stone and it was gone....did i possibly damage the pedal? i cant imagine how i would have, but anyone know anything that might have happened?

2. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Most likely it's always been there and you've just never noticed it before. Being analogue, Electro-Harmonix pedals can be a bit noisy - that's half the fun!

3. alright, i was worried i had hurt it...

4. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    Yeah I get the same noise with my small clone, but it really seems loud when ever I crank the gain, or treble up to what I would normally use. Anyone know why they make this excessive noise?

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a Russian Small Stone that whined, and you could still hear the whoosh of the phaser (at a lower volume) even when it was switched off.