1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Snarky Puppy - bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Oct 7, 2013.

1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
  2. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    Looks like an Alleva Coppola in the vid...

3. Definitely a custom alleva coppolo 5, fantastic instruments

4. I've been freaking out over that track for a few weeks, how awesome is that throat singing towards the end? Bought the CD DVD combo.

Seeing them in March... so pumped.

5. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    The P is a 70's Fender. The Jazz 5 is Alleva Coppolo.

Jared Lash likes this.
  6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I saw them last week at Berklee for the first time. Tight band.

From where I was sitting, it looked like a Fender P bass.

7. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    thanks everyone, awesome info

8. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    WOW - Yeah, that's how it's done.

9. mileyj

mileyj

Feb 10, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Anyone know if he has flats or round wound strings on that thing? His tone is killer!

10. Definitely flatwounds on his P-bass. It's really difficult to get that depth in tone with roundwounds.
    Also, his P-bass looks like an all maple '60s Fender to me.

11. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    I believe he just became an FBASS artist...but in that flick hes not playing an FBASS

12. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/02/13/from-the-ground-up-an-interview-with-michael-league/
    "Can you give us a rundown of your gear?

I play a 1976 Fender Precision bass with a maple neck that I acquired in a drum shop in Greenville, South Carolina for $700. I talked him down from $900 because they obviously had no idea what they had. It was in bad shape so I did had to fix it up a bit. I guess it was owned by some guy who played at his church in the mountains every Sunday. But he just played acoustic bass, so the electric just sat in his closet for twenty years or something. So that’s kind of like my baby. I use D’Addario Chrome Flatwounds on that.

For more vintage gear, I have a 1967 Hofner 500/1 Beatle Violin Bass strung with D’Addario Tapewounds. I love that bass. I have a ’78 Fender Mustang with a maple neck. Then I have a 5-string Alleva-Coppollo, which I love. I’m not really a 5-string guy, but I put it on every once in a while and I love it. It’s got kind of a mint green finish with a black pickguard and rosewood fingerboard."

Lownote38 likes this.
  13. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    I saw Snarky Puppy live this last Sunday, and I took a phone snapshot of his pedalboard. Sweet tone (he played a -P with flats).
    10nrnvd.

14. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401199205.858038.

phishaholik likes this.
  15. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    that guy is a beast !!! great guy one if my top bass players

16. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Wow almost the as board as me :) the minifooger drive + the markbass octave is an amazing combo! Surprised to see 2 delay pedals though! Thanks for the cool info guys

17. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    wow, this is why I love TB. I always get turned on to cool bands.

18. FerK

FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    I was sitting on row 2, barely 10 feet away from him. I saw him use the other pedals just a little bit (if anything at all), but the MB Octaver he used a lot !

BTW, himluis1, that pic is not from Sunday, right ? Michael was wearing a blue shirt that said "Tots som el Barça" (we are all Barça). :)

19. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Randyt likes this.
  20. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    FerK that was a while ago at jacksonville fl !!!