1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So called "friends"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I like how certain people I know label me as their "friend", but they never call me, email me or even try to get in contact with me. It's always me starting things, so I've basically blocked all contact with a few people now.

Anyone else gone through stuff like this?

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You're doing the right thing.

3. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    Did somebody say something?

Anyway...has anyone heard about the ATOZ emoticon???

(I'm just kidding. It happens, they're not really "friends" and you're better off without 'em!)

4. Yep.

It happens with most of your high school friends after high school, it happens with most of your college friends after college, and it happens with almost all your friends from work when you or they change jobs.

5. Problem and solution in one.

6. Then along came Facebook.:rollno:

7. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    +1

Is anybody else sketched out by the fact that they let anybody on FB now?

8. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I used Facebook for a little while and found it to serve no purpose for me. Same deal there, only me making the connection between people. Meh, at least I have my interests and job to keep me preoccupied.

9. Now? They have been letting anyone on Facebook for over a year. Just don't accept the friend requests that you don't want to.

lowsound

10. Yeah, I do that with family that can't be bothered too. All things considered, I shouldn't be the only one contacting certain family members in a vain attempt at bonds ...so, eff'em..it's a two way street. I'm through worrying about that stuff.

11. 100% true.

I barely talk to most of the people I used to work with at my last job.

I talk to maybe 5-6 of my high school friends on a regular basis, out of the 400 people that I graduated with.

12. Those are my favorite kind of friends. :D

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Friends, or "friends"... I don't deal with the latter. They're simply acquaintances at best.

14. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    im basically thinning the herd now as well when it comes to friends.

15. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    My best friend for like 20 years hasn't called me for as long as I can remember.
    I've always got to initiate. I moved once and he never came to my new house, didn't come to my 40th birthday, etc, etc.

He's dead to me now:rollno:

16. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Sad but it's just the way life goes.

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    You're a backburner friend. We all have them. They're the people you don't want to hang out with unless you really have nothing better to do, or you need them for something.

Odds are if you stop initiating things, some of them will never contact you again, and others will. That's life.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Disgusted and Disgruntled sums up my expirence with "Friends".

19. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I think you mispercieve the term friend. A friend is someone you know, and spent time with and to some extent know, from for example school/work. A good friend will take contact and do things with you. So all these "he-doesnt-call-me-now-i-dont-wanna-talk-to-him-lol"-friends are in reality friends - just not good friends.

20. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    agreed :(

I've done a lot for people, driving, paying for drinks,food, even loaning money, etc. etc. And it's so *gosh darn* easy for people to disappear. So just keep on moving...

"Life is like a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving"- Einstein