1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

So I auditioned for a band today...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Brich, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Brich

Brich

Nov 18, 2013
    Ohio
    and honestly...it was great! Jammed 3 original tunes, had less than 36 hrs prep time. Everyone had their head in the right mindset (goal oriented, focused, driven, ect.) Plus they were around my age group and had relatable conversation. However, there was pretty excessive alcohol use, Marijuana and one of the guys wasn't employed. I mean he could be down on his luck, he was a great dude, but the substance abuse...first impressions go both ways just the same as a job interview. Should I stick it out, or duck out now?

For context: the previous bass player was a childhood friend who is having a baby and won't be returning, so they've begun their search for a replacement.

2. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like a party and not a band. Excessive alcohol and/or drug use is not a good sign.

3. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    To each his own, it's possible they were just a on a "good one" and keepin the vibe loose kinda thing. You said you had a great time, they were focused AND driven.

Did you enjoy the jammin? How about the musical chemistry? ENJOY IT, see where it goes. I wouldn't see it as a problem. It doesn't sound like tweekersvile, just some weed/drinks, big woop!

Excessive occasionally I personally could deal with, but sloppy, stupid drunk, gets old fast...Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Everyone has their own level of tolerance for that. Personally, I won't play with people who rehearse impaired or unprepared. What they do afterwards is up to them, but I take my music (and my time) seriously.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Per "TJ's Rule-of-Ten": Things are or will be 10 times worse than what you witnessed during this initial encounter.

It's your call but, if you choose to proceed, this disqualifies your from complaining at a later date.

Riis

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Take a look around. The true number of unemployment may be as high as 25% atm due to lockdowns.

I would urge you not to use this factor to judge anyone now or in foreseeable future.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

I used to play with a drummer that said, "There are 168 hours in a week. We're asking you to be sober for 2 of them. If that's too much, this isn't the band for you."

If you're looking for a tight, professional band, this is probably not a good fit. If you're looking for a train wreck, you're home!

8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Illegal drug use is an instant non-starter for me.
    If it's legal where you are, you must judge on other factors.
    I can't stand any kind of smoke, so I'd be gone, but that's me.
    Yes. I'm a musician and sound guy, so technically I'm unemployed too.
    IMO (since you ask) you have to ask yourself if you want a working band or a jam, and the likelihood of these guys being whatever that is.
    If you want a working band, have these guys _ever_ played out? Do they have a name? Social media presence using that name? IME - you can tell which you've got...

9. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Sounds like you enjoyed the music aspect of it so I'd probably give it a few probationary stabs to see if the "excessive" is the norm or was just that day. Then adjust from there.

I want a situation where everyone is comfortable doing their thing, but not at the expense of band time. If altering your mindset is how you enjoy doing music, then have a go - as long as it doesn't impede progress and performance. We all have our own tolerance levels, so unless you noted problematic results from the "excess", it may just be who they are.

10. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    What you see is what you get. robably not good nor bad. Just is.

BazzaBass, wintremute and Brich like this.
  11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I'm not pro, but I treat my projects like a job, with goals an expectations of getting things done in rehearsal. I don't drink or smoke weed on the job (in general). There are times when smoking weed can help get into the groove, but it needs to be a mutual thing, not everybody off on their own trip, playing to their own beat. As far as drinking goes, beyond the first drink or two to calm nerves, I've never seen booze do anything but make people sloppy and unreliable (best case) or absolute monsters (worst case).

This case sounds a little bit too casual and boozy for my taste, but if the players were good enough (e.g. better than me, even when imbibing:woot:) I might give it a shot.

SiSoldier, Eikari, ToneMonkey and 4 others like this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    You’re getting a lot of personal opinions here and I don’t see many asking any what YOU want.

What’s your goal or what are you looking to get out of a band? Are you looking for a squeaky clean professional situation that gets booked every weekend or a garage jam with plenty of beer and weed? I’ve been in both at different times in my life and had a hell of a lot of fun.

It sounds like you had a pretty good time so as long as your expectations match what you’re getting, why not stick around? Just don’t expect the situation to be something it isn’t.

Mr_Moo, sludgetail, jdh3000 and 7 others like this.
  13. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Yep... audition????? And that was putting their best foot forward.
    Amigo... it only goes down hill from here. IMO.

14. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    If you want to drink, smoke, party and jam, it sounds like fun. If you are looking for a working band, probably not the way to go. Not judging, it’s your choice.

Mr_Moo, jdh3000, legalbass and 8 others like this.
  15. Sounds to me like you had a good time.

Probably worth sticking around and seeing how it goes from here.

Taustin Powers and Brich like this.
  16. I wouldn't worry about it. Alcohol and Marijuana are pretty tame unless they are downing shots of hard booze and doing 4 foot bong hits. Now if they were blowing lines of coke and shooting heroin that would be a different story.

SiSoldier, Mr_Moo, legalbass and 15 others like this.
  17. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    One thing to remember, especially if you want to be in a gigging band. Everyone partying hardy will eventually create a reputation for the band. Even if you are not one of the partying hardy members.

Seen some real great players in our area in Texas, that have ruined their reputation and can't get a gig because the agents and club owners refuse to allow them back into their clubs. Might have only been because of one member seriously acting out. But all the members in that band get onto the black-balled list. I guess the club owners think all members were supposed to be professional and should have managed the situation. After all a club owner expects to hire professionals.

Once you are there, it is hard to get that bad reputation cleaned up. Just saying. Enjoy what you want, but always have an eye of what is down the line, and judge accordingly. BTW been doing gigs for well over 5 decades, so I have seen and been involved in a lot. All the best, Amigo.

18. I'm pretty straight-edge when it comes to music, although when I'm off the clock and it's party time I know how to get it on with the best of them. I don't write and practice buzzed, so I refrain from performing buzzed. I rarely partake when I'm tracking or on stage (it takes me a couple of hours to get one alcoholic beverage down in those situations), but I don't mind others partaking in a little weed and hootch--provided it doesn't become an issue. If they can still be productive and reliable, adhere to a strong work ethic, be smart musicians, track parts well, perform well, not waste a bunch of time, and not become a nuisance or embarrassment, I don't see the harm.

Trouble is, it only takes one who can't handle it to ruin a good thing. And IME there's usually at least one who can't stay within a reasonable limit or is a lightweight and eventually screws the pooch.

You'd have to do some sleuth work to see if that has been a problem historically for this group, or roll the dice and hope for the best. Maybe a quick chat, non-confrontational, with the perceived BL might help.

Mr_Moo, eddiemac and Brich like this.
  19. You're auditioning them as much as they're auditioning you. Are they people you want to work/play with? It might suck or it might be great. Sometimes these things work out pretty well. Sometimes they're great. Sometimes they suck. As Mike Gordon, Bill Wyman, Lemmy etc.

Brich likes this.
  20. TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jun 6, 2015
    Austin
    I'm stopping right here.... that is awesome, especially in today's environment.

Okay, maybe I'm not stopping right there. In my two bands, I'm the only one who doesn't light up. Other than one person, I haven't seen it be a problem. The drummer in my dad band gets pretty high and his tempo is all over the place, but the two goals of that band is to hang and make music. So, while he isn't the best drummer, he's a cool person to hang out with. Unemployed waiter, btw.

For your audition, you got to see them in their natural state already, so no surprises if you choose to continue on with them. Good luck, have fun, enjoy the music.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021