1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I got the Duck Dunn book for XMas

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    My wife loves me. She tolerates my bass collecting and playing attempts. She got me this great book for Xmas. It's a bit heavy on Duck's material with the Blues Brothers, but it has a nice bio section and transcriptions of 58 songs.

It's a really fun way to get the feel of some influential soul grooves, and the transcriptions are very thorough. About half have backing tracks on the Hal Leonard site, and the others I just stream from Google Play and play along. Highly recommended for any novice to intermediate player who wants to get a sense of classic pocket grooves. Also a good way to practice your sight reading because the material is likely to be familiar so you know when you are reading it right versus not:

Soul Fingers, Bass - Hal Leonard Online

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Ditto for me. Excited to get some reading practice.

ErikP.Bass and ThuzzleFump like this.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Great book.

4. Is this the revised version of the "What Duck Dunn" book?

5. Also, how do you use the audio on the HAL LEONARD site? Can you only do that if you buy it FROM the HL site?

6. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Nope two totally different books.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have both...IMO, I like the new one better.

8. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    There's a unique access code in the book.

9. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

hmmm...i told myself i was done buying bass books..maybe I'm not. :woot:

10. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  11. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Agree, great book- super accurate transcription work. It’s a great way to learn those classic basslines. I consider it a must have book!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  12. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Also interesting to me how some of the signature notes that duck plays are actually mistakes by the conventional rules. Like hitting the same note at the end of one measure and the beginning of the next in a walking line. Not supposed to do that but it works. I learned something!

Polk Salad and Garret Graves like this.
  13. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I've thought the same thing.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  14. Polk Salad

Sep 18, 2007
    It's amazing when you peel away vocals to hear what's played underneath. He played so melodically.

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  15. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Yeah, he really did. And always held the groove. Fun book for sure.

16. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    Just played through the book. I like "She Caught the Katy". I always liked the song and now I have the transcription.

17. Jimmy Vegas

Jimmy Vegas

Jan 7, 2018
    Excellent book. Great to read about Duck, Cropper and Stax in the context of the times, has me eager to read more. Duck's bass lines are really what drew me to the instrument (40 years on drums, 30 attempting guitar).

18. Polk Salad

Sep 18, 2007
    So I've been going through the book again the last few days (really just listening to the tracks) and I swear, I dont know how many times I've heard the original tunes, I feel like I hear the lines different every time. I learn something again each time. Duck is still underrated.

walkbassman45 likes this.
  19. Polk Salad

Sep 18, 2007
    I hope some of you are getting the book for Christmas THIS year. I've loved it.

JimK and Jimmy Vegas like this.