Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So...I have a problem (ashdown cab ordered)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Sep 12, 2005.

1. So its official I have a problem with buying gear, but this time its an Ashdown ABM-410. Got a reasonable deal on it so can't be too bad, right? Anyway any other players using one? When it arrives it'll be paired with my humble mag combo until I can buy a head. I'm more than likely to add another cab to it as time goes on, but...

What head should it be paired with?

How many watts should I look at?

I'm tempted by the rackmount ABM 500 as it will fit in my rack perfectly and has 575 watts of output and I really like the ashdown sound now I have found it. Would this be a perfect match?

Many thanks

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well what is your budget and what is your situation...that Ashdown head would be pretty killer in any situation though.

3. Around about £1000 and I need to do EVERYTHING with it. From big fat and warm to slapping to whatever else takes my fancy.

It needs to be loud and punchy with a fair amount of presence (as in being felt as well as heard) enough to get over a cranked JCM 800 with an animal of a drummer. Plus the valve bit which can be set up for a gritty drive is a major selling point for me.

I've heard one of these heads in the flesh and I am really impressed with the tone and how loud it is, so its a contender. Are there any other I should look at?

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Used SVT-ii (non pro) would probably get the job done and build up some muscle.