1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I played an amazing GIbson today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    What's next, paris hilton for president?

I was in a local shop today, checking out the basses. Played a few.

I saw three gibson basses hanging on the wal, but thought, I'm nog gui****, so I'm not gonna play a gibson. Untill the store owner said to me I should really check them out, so I took a Gibson moneymaker of the wal. It was AMAZING. It played really good and sounded incredible thunderous, deep and raw. Unlike anything I've ever heard.

Now I'm looking for a new bass in the 1000-1200€ range and the gibson was 1100. Although it really spoke to me, I would never buy it. The neck shape was a little odd (D-shape), it was short scale and looked a bit funny. Am I being to narrow minded or what?

What do you guys think? Have you ever played gibson basses and liked them?

2. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    who cares what anyone thinks? if you dug it as much as you're saying, buy it!

3. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I'm not going to buy it.

It's the first time in my life that I can spend that amount of money on a bass. I made a deal with myself I'm gonna play LOTS of basses untill I find one that I love all the way. And this is not the case. I don't care what anyone thinks, but I just allways thought that a Gibson bass was nothing for me. I even like the fact that it's a bass allmost no one uses.

4. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Based on your assessment of the bass using the criteria above, your rejection of that particular Gibson is not narrow-minded.... however, your attitude about Gibson is narrow-minded, i.e. the whole "I'd never buy a Gibson bass because they are nothing"-thing. Obviously they are not "nothing", based on your experience today.

I love my Gibson Thunderbird.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    There have been some good Gibson basses over the years, IMHO. The original Ripper was one of my favorites. The Thunderbirds are certainly unique - not my cup of tea but they do make some groovy sounds. But if you don't like the shape of the neck, that negates how good it sounds, again IMHO. And if you don't want a short-scale bass, that kinda seals it. And if you think it looks "a bit funny", why spend a reasonably large sum of money on it?

You made a good deal with yourself - go play all the basses you can find until you find the one that is best.

6. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    cool, i can dig playing as many as you can. but don't rule out the gibson because it's a gibson! after you've played a bunch of stuff, make sure you go back and try that thing again. gibson basses aren't for everyone, but two of my all-time favorite bassists play or played them pretty much exclusively. (mike watt and allen woody)

you might be one of the ones that they are right for!

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    So you say it plays great, and sounds great, yet you're finding things wrong with it regardless of how it plays and sounds?

Nothing else matter but how it plays and sounds.

8. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

You know, I have played those Money basses before and I really liked them too...and have nearly bought one, may still..but I understand that if its your only bass then you might one something a bit more versatile, yet tradiotional at the same time.
    But if you dig it then you dig it...you might find a used one and then use the money left over to buy a more "accepted" style of used bass. Anyways, my 3 favorite basses that I own were all under $300 each..and they see the majority of my playing time...one of them is a Fernandes LP copy sytle bass...think I dont get some weird looks? ;)

9. I used to think that I didn't like Gibson basses... then I played one.

Please do not tell my mother about this mature concept... I'm still certain I do not like lima beans (what can I say, 38 year old habits die hard)

I hope that everyone gets a chance to play one and see for themselves.

If you dig a Gibson bass you should buy it and play the hell out of it.

Oh yeah... Ampeg too! :bag:

10. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I just wished I made more money to be able to buy more Gibson Basses..........I love them so!

11. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I have the Blue Meanie LP Money, and it's a great bass. I'm thinking about trading it away, so if anyone on this post is looking, drop me a line.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I played a G3 for years and loved it. It was a great bass and very versatile.

Also, a Thunderbird is an excellent bass and I would own one of I didn't play so much funk and slap.

13. I thought the money basses were full scale? No?

14. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    I wish that more people appreciated the uniqueness of its tone and not just dismiss it because they don't take Gibsons seriously. Granted, it's not for all types of music, and it's not the most versatile of basses, but to me it is the best at what it does, and not too many instruments out there can replicate that warm-yet-aggressive neck-thru mahogany tone.

15. Myself, Im not very found of Gibsons. I think the Thunderbird is one of the most uncomfortable basses Ive ever played. However, if you liked it, go for it.

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I wish Gibson would reissue the Grabber.

17. fuzzurin

fuzzurin

Apr 2, 2008
    I have a Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway that's been my main bass for the past year. I love it.

18. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I also like mike watts tone very much. But it would idd be my only bass, so I want something that can do it all (or that can do most things).

I was planning on buying a lakland skyline. A lot less original, but I'm definately not gonna buy anything without having played a few skylines (they are not that easy to find here).

Thanks for the cool reactions. All in all, my thoughts about gibson basses have changed. I know now they have some really cool ones. :bassist:

19. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland

they are 34" scale, not shortscale.

20. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    you're right...

Strange that it felt like a shortscale. Maybe it was an optical illusion because of the small body.

That was another thing that bothered me, the upper horn only went to the 14 or 15 fret I believe. I prefer my basses with horns up to the 12th fret.