1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I'm buying a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bathead, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm trying to pick which one to get out of these two;

I am not a beginner, I've been playing for a few years but I had to stick to a low budget.

I had to narrow it down to

1. ESP LTD B-50

2. Squier by Fender Standard P Bass Special 4-String Bass Guitar

I would like your opinions on which one I should get, so far I'm leaning towards the Squier ... but apparently its known more as a beginner bass guitar then again it's built like a "mini-tank"

Thanks for your opinions.

-Bathead :bassist:

2. Go with the one you like the best... which one feels/plays the best for you, which one sounds best to your ears? Every bass has a different personality and it depends on which you get along with best! :) lol

And certainly don't look at it as "it's a beginner bass." RexNFX79, a fellow TB'er summed it up well: "I don't care if a guy is using pawn shop junk if he's got tone and can play." If YOU like it, that's what counts the most. Besides... Last time I saw Victor Wooten live, his brother Reggie was playing a Squier guitar. If it's good enough for him... lol

5sg.

3. If you are on a limited budget how about SX ? 100-179 bucks, cant beat it for the price.
    www.rondomusic.com

4. Nothing wrong with a good Squier. My advice would be to try some of the "Vintage Modified" Squiers. They make a P now. Incredible value for the buck. IMHO, YMMV and etc.
    Cheers

5. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Squier Standard is okay. Squier Affinity is not. :smug:

6. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks for your input guys. Helped a bunch. :D

7. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    First, get the one that sounds and plays best to YOUR ears and hands.

If both are equal, I'd go with the Fender. You could probably get close to what you paid for it when you decide to flip it.

Again, just my .02

Cheers!!

8. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    The thing with sx is that it could be a hit and a miss situation.

+1 on the squiers, I own the VMJ one and I'm pretty satisfied with it, try one.

9. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    The VM Squiers are great for the money. But you will want to to check the soldering job periodically, just to make sure they hold.

10. the esp in my experiance is pretty darn good for the money though, try both and then decide

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I agree with the SX idea. Hard to beat for the cash..

The Squier VM and CB series are amazing, IMO.