1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So many different amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBassBass199, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hey everyone,
    Straight to the point, I'm looking for a new bass amp. With all the different bass amps around I'm completely clueless to what ones sound good and so on.

What I need is an amp around 150-200 watts and one thats smallish and easy to transport around. The maximum I can spend is £500 but I guess I could go a little over. I don't want a combo amp, I'd rather have a seperate head and cab. Also, I don't want to buy a used amp.

I'm not really looking for a really special and unique tone, just something basic that sounds good. The music we play and make are inspired by bands like The Ramones, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Guns 'N' Roses.

Can anyone help me find an amp? Please answer. Thanks for reading.

Sorry for all the writing, its's my first time writing something like this so I wasnt sure how much to write.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thing is, you must go play them and hear for yourself. No one can do that for you. What sounds good to me, won't neccessarily sound good to you. Go, play, and come back when you've narrowed the feild a bit.

3. You're not from 'round these 'ere parts are you? :smug: Oh! to have the luxury of choice!

But seriously though, what he said is true, you've got to try and see. I guessing someone will chip in and suggest the Genz Benz series of amps - Mark Bass is WAY out your league. But usually small, portable and not a combo will set you back a bit more than your current budget unless you look at used. Don't dismiss a combo though, there are many good ones to be had that will easily suite your requirements and needs at a good price. Gallien, Eden, Ashdown, Trace, Ampeg and SWR all spring to mind.

4. Ok, cheers.
    I've tried out some at the music store near me but they didnt really have much on offer. Anyone had any experience with the Line 6 LowDown or Ashdown stuff? I've been mainly lookin at them on the net. I've tried the LowDown and it seemed alright but I didnt get a lot of time with it. Unfourtanatly, I can't go anywhere to try amps out.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ive used the Ashdown MAG series extensivley (theyre pretty popular in this board) and I can vouch for reliability. Sound? Up to you.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi BassBassBass199.

Do you know anyone in London whom you could visit for a weekend + do some Saturday try-before-you-buy bass amp shopping?

--------

Speaking for myself, I'm a big fan of gear made by regional manufacturers since I know where I could get a domestically made rig repaired without any undue difficulty...

7. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Played a Line 6 lowdown, and own some Ashdown gear. My vote goes to the Ashdown, built like a tank, portablity is realitive, for example an 8x10 to me is portable, to you, who knows.

8. No, I dont know anyone in London.
    I think i'll look into Ashdown a bit. Thanks for the help everyone

9. Ashdown is a good choice... Clayton(?) from U2 uses an Ashdown rig, so a good example for tone if you're interested in knowing how it might sound.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Whilst I agree, Clayton is actually onto Aguilar now. He sounds the same though, and I imagine he'll sound like himself no matter what rig he's using.

11. Well, on the Culture Show here in the UK, they did a special on the new album and he uses an Ashdown on that with a P-bass. But, I guess with that much money you can have a different rig for every day of the week ;)

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Don't you 'here in the UK' me. :D