1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So my amp has a bass compressor built in but...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cloudyorchestra, May 17, 2012.

1. cloudyorchestra

cloudyorchestra

Apr 29, 2012
    Should i get a seperate pedal for compression?

2. alexander_gbass

alexander_gbass

May 5, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    Endorsing Artist
    No need for it ... Just dial it in from there and your good to go...

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    It really just depends on if you like it or not.

My amp (Mesa Bass 400+) has natural tube OD. People will show up in here all day long and talk about how "natral toobs OD is better than enythin' a pedle can play" (I always picture these old guys as hicks for some reason). To me, pedals are just better. The Elements is amazing. B3K. Swell pedals. The Grombass is on it's way too many. So many different flavors...different sounds....different uses.....

Compressors are the same way. It would be a miracle if the compressor built into your amp is the one you like the best.

4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Which amp izzat ?

5. cloudyorchestra

cloudyorchestra

Apr 29, 2012
    Peavey TnT

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I also use the single-knob compressor on my Hartke head and it suits me fine, although it can get a bit squashy when set passed the noon mark. Anyway, when I play that amp, the LMB-3 stays off. If my home practice kit had a compressor, I wouldn't need the LMB-3.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep

Do you use compression? No point in getting on if you don't...

8. The core question is: what don't you like with the built-in compression? If no answer, then no need to purchase a separate compressor.

9. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    There isn’t much information on the TNT compressor other than it is an optical design that I read somewhere. It may be a decent one knob compressor, but the way the circuit block diagram is drawn you can not use the compressor with the crunch circuit. It shows that only one of those two functions can be used a time.

-Frank

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    try a couple of compressors in store through a tnt if you can. If they do something you can understand better than the amp and you'd use it then I say go for it.

My amp has a great compressor built into it but I prefer the sound I get from my external compressors. When I don't use my pedalboard I can get a fatter punchier tone than dry withmy onboard comp but it's all pretty subjective to taste. Glad I have options. You'll never know what ou want till you try to understand what it it that you like