1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So our sound guy comes to band practice...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by murph7489, Sep 13, 2018.

1. The first thing he says after listening to us play 5-6 songs....murph, how long have you had those strings on that bass....I start thinking, then I say, half stammering..,uh...like I don't know...well, I bought the bass with them on it...and I think they were on it before that ...so a year plus...lol...he says yeah you should get new ones...you need more brightness out of strings and those sound dead... I have no idea what kind of strings are on them...I know they are stainless, rounds...maybe..lol could be nickel but I'm thinking stainless...So I need a new set of stainless bright strings...

jamro217 and Ellery like this.
  2. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Perhaps you should thank the gentleman and get a bit more familiar with the tools you are using. You have certainly covered a lot of ground by jumping from his suggestions of "brighter, not so dead" to "bright, stainless" strings. There are a lot of options in between. I don't mean to cause a fuss and I hope this is a chance for you to become more informed about what you have and what you may want. Great technique and bad tone or intonation (of both at once) still make a bad sounding bass line. Give yourself a chance to be the best you can be: find some strings that work. Maybe the guy knows what he's talking about and may even have some constructive suggestions.

3. OH I accept his analysis...and will be getting new strings over the weekend...

design, srcTW, MDBass and 1 other person like this.
  4. DR Hi-Beams might be a good place to start for "stainless bright strings".

FF Petro, dBChad, Helix and 9 others like this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Hi Beams have been one of my favorite strings for decades. They sound good, settle in quickly, hold tune well and retain their brightness for a long time. I also think they're a great value given their long tone life.

stubborne, Plutonium244 and BobKos like this.
  6. Steel strings sound just too bright for my taste; and some people claim that they eat the frets fast. My personal preference is nickel roundwounds; they are bright enough.

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    As soon as you change your strings, it'll be bright anyway, regardless of what you pick, even if you break nickels in the sound shouldn't complain cos they won't sound dead yet

Cheez, SoCal80s, 1bassleft and 4 others like this.
  8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I used broke in flatwounds at a gig once, I played hard Rock and the sound guy didn't say Jack about it

japhy4529 likes this.
  9. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I'd tell my sound guy to pack sand! On a couple of my basses I prefer dead strings.

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Is it for your Kiesler ? They use Dunlop Superbrites from t he factory.

11. I think you'll be pretty amazed/astounded at the change in character your bass will have with a new set of just about anything on it! Can't hurt to go over to have a tech go over the intonation and set-up for ya as well!

Old strings, ESPECIALLY rounds, sound crappier than an old set of similarly worn-in Flats (which, while not even in my taste bracket, are pretty bad @$$-sounding for a LONG time).

Disclaimer- I am a ROTOSOUND DEVOTEE. I LIKE the twang and "angry piano" sound of rounds.

12. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    If you load it with flats, the next time he asks how long they've been on there and you say "a year I guess" he'll be able to respond with "just starting to break in I see, good."

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Try some DR Pure Blues.

jallenbass and Bob Growler like this.
  14. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Honestly based on my interactions with non-bass players, the vast majority of people don't know what they heck they are talking about when it comes to bass. I once changed strings before a band practice and had the guitar player tell me that was a mistake as they need "at least a week to settle in". I tuned up and stayed in tune with minor tuning adjustments made throughout the night and had no issue.

I've been finding out the sound guys in particular can be clueless when it comes to bass, I listened to sound soundboards from the last couple of shows we did and the the guys had the bass so low in the mix it actually pissed me off. It was buried way beneath everything.

Your strings may or may not sound great, but if they sound good to you and sit well in the mix thats all that matters and I would have thanked the guy for his advice and moved on. He probably would have stroked out if I told him I was using ten year old flats on my Alembic SCSD and have no intention of changing them anytime soon. I LIKE the way they sound.

vvvmmm, Swampish, Amano and 5 others like this.
  15. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I’m not sure how your group runs but every decent band I’ve been a part of or played for treated it’s soundperson like another member of the band, and hence having an “outside” critique of your tone can be invaluable. It’s still up to you if you change your strings or not (since at the end of the day, YOU’RE the bassist) but it would be wise to at least consider what the soundperson is suggesting...after all, they’re the one that’s thinking about how the band sounds to the audience at a show.

oldrocker, tom-g, JeffC23 and 7 others like this.
  16. idorky

idorky

Dec 27, 2006

ohh yeah.... you cant go wrong with rotosound

17. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a lot of basses and gig them all in rotation and I am seriously intimidated by what strings to try. There's, like, a brazillion different sets to choose from.

Because my basses range from short scale hollows, Hofners and the like to 34 inch Fenders and Ibanez and a Jack Casady and a Starcaster, I know no one set is going to make them ALL sound good.

Gonna just hit them one at a time, start with something in the middle like GHS Bassics and move out from there.

basscapes likes this.
  18. Some will like (and get seriously FUNKY, with a capital "F") Flats, while some will growl and sing with nice, sparkly rounds.

You'll simply need to look at (and listen to) each bass and assess when could work best. I wouldn't go overboard with the idea that EVERY instrument MUST get the right set immediately... It'll come as time passes.

19. Who cares what some 'sound guy' thinks? It's your bass, not his. What if he had said to get a new amp? New bass? New bass player?

I've got a Precision I last changed strings on in 1981. I play a bass, not a 'treble'. If he wants bright tell him to buy a flashlight.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM
  20. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I know it's time for new strings on most. Most haven't been changed for between 3 and 8 years. Some feel downright sticky.

I may try what a buddy does...buy what's on sale and play them for a while.

dBChad likes this.