So What solos

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Hey everbody. It seems like So What is quite a popular thread round here lol. So I'm taking a solo on So What and I'm looking for ways to make my solo a little more hip. I have been looking at other scales besides just the dorian, I just think it is a little over used. Some of the scales I have been looking at and playing around with are like the dorian b2, harmonic minor, and the locrian #2. Does anyone else have any ideas on how to and how they hipafy their So What solo? Thanks
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Well, the intent and nature of the tune is to find big open spaces. Ultiamtely you can play whatever you want.

Some examples:
    D any minor scale, if you're hearing it
    D- pentatonic
    G- pentatonic
    G major pent.
    F major pent.
    C major pent.
    G mixolydian
    G and D blues scales
    Altered pentatonics
    Bb diminished (i.e. A7(b9))
    chromatic scale

Move it all a half step up for the bridge.

The best way to 'hippify' is to play what you're hearing. So the best advice is to play with toys in the practice room and not on the gig. The new material will start coming out when you've digested it.
  3. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Ray speaks truth. As Cecil McBee said, practice the stuff but then put it in the closet when you get to the gig--it'll come busting out when it's ready.
    Just make sure you spend as much time working on the facial gestures and the body movements as on the notes--hipness is like a total body workout...
  4. Thanks for the advice fellas. I have been workin on my facial stuff and my moaning lol like Ron Burgendy said "UHHHH".
  5. jazzinjamielo

May 1, 2005
    Just keep it swingin man...