Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Social question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 29, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all, I have a question about social etiquette.

I'm a very picky eater. But often times people expect you to eat while you are at their house. I usually politely decline, but sometimes people won't take "no" for an answer. Saying that I don't care for the particular dish they are having that evening usually just ellicits the response that, "I would like it the way they make it". Saying that I already have eaten earlier in the day, (which is usually true) usually has no effect. If you want to get socialological about it, I have an INTJ personality; so I really don't give a crap about customs for the sake of customs.

What do you suggest I do in these situations?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    "My stomach is all tore up right now. I'd love to, but I'll pass."

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I usually just throw up on my plate when in that situation.

brad cook

4. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey, I'm the same way, well, not a picky eater, but I just don't like to eat that much. So when I'm out with people or at their house and they offer, I've learned to just take a small plate, because people really do get offended if you say no. Even though it has NOTHING to do with them.

Anyway, so that's what I do, just say, I'm pretty full but I'll have just a taste. Then you don't have to eat that much, they are happy, you are happy and the world is a better place.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I run into this alot since I dislike fish.

When someone gives me the "yeah, but you haven't tried my ______" line, I just politely explain that I do not like fish, not the way it is prepared.

vbass has suggested the most gracious thing to do, but if I were to do that, I would end up doing what Brad suggested. :)

-Mike

6. if you're gonna' eat some food, be sure you trust the person serving it. They might try to slip in a laxative, or some scary drugs.
    Be sure to chew a lot to avoid choking.

If what they're trying to serve you contains balogna, sausage, or "weiners," just say you're worried about spinal chord tissue. If it's sushi, "No thanks, I'm not a freak," will probably do just fine.

If you can't think of any other excuses, maybe eat a little. I wouldn't suggest eating any fancy cheese though. I was at a friends dads house, and I was offered some fancy expensive cheese, so I ate a tiny bight, just a crum, and my mouth burned for hours.

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    No thanks, everytime I eat that I have projectile diarhea.

8. i don't understand picky eaters. i love food. all food. i can't think of any dish i wouldn't eat.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I agree with Mike that VBass had some very good advice.

You might also invent some conveient food alergies to help worm out of this situation. Also consider that if you don't want to be invited to dinner, don't be visiting / hanging around at dinner time.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I too am not a fan of fish, the line " Thank You No i am allergic to Fish " works well.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Have you ever went over a friends house to eat and the food just aint no good? I mean the macaroni's soggy, the peas are mushed, and the chicken tastes like wood. So you try to play it off like you think you can by sayin' that you're full. And then your friend says "Momma he's just being polite he aint finished, uh uh, that's bull!" So your heart starts pumpin and you think of a lie and you say that you already ate. And your friend says man there's plenty of food so you pile some more on your plate. While the stinky foods steamin your mind starts to dreamin of the moment that it's time to leave. And then you look at your plate and your chickens slowly rottin into something that looks like cheese. Oh so you say, "That's it! I got to leave this place, I dont care what these people think. I'm just sittin here makin myself nauseous with this ugly food that stinks." So you bust out the door while its still closed, still sick from the food you ate. And then you run to the store for quick relief from a bottle of kaopectate. And then you call your friend two weeks later to see how he has been. And he says, "I understand about the food, baby bubbah, but we're still friends."

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Gotta include bloody in that. It takes the whole comment to a whole new level of gross.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I say, "What the (sounds like duck) part of 'no thank you' don't you get anyway?"

14. one of the few rap songs i like...

As for me, i agree with mr. grabs. I eat anything and everything. i like food.

Charlie

15. i noticed it rymed...but i didnt think it was a rap song..

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i eat just about everything except meat.

i find making puppy eyes works rather well when i can't eat a meat dish.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow, you must have some really...err...."nice" friends...? :meh:

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm an INTJ as well - but I'll eat anything - as much as I'm given!! ;)

19. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Do you boil them or fry them...?

20. I'm ENFP, so...this is what I usually do, meaning you probably wouldn't. :p

Depending on the situation and who I'm with, I do different things.
    If it's with my dad's friends, then I'll politely eat a little, usually meaning what's already on my plate. Sometimes I have to force myself not to cringe or make a "yucky" face, and I'll have to wash it down with some water, but I just keep a smile on my face and hope my dad keeps talking so the attention isn't on my reaction to the food. :p

If it's with my friends and their family, they usually know what I don't like, and if they don't, I just let them know and it's usually ok. Occasionally someone, usually the father, will tell me that, "It's good for you, at least have a little bit." So, again, I politely put some on my plate and let it pass through my mouth into my stomach with minimal tongue contact.

If it's with complete strangers, such as a formal event or other meal-time event that I've signed up for, I push what I don't like to the side when I've finished everything else. If I don't like the entire dish, I'll take a bite or two then leave the rest alone.