1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Soft case for custom pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smeet, Mar 26, 2013.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So I built myself a custom board, and now I need a soft case to carry it around in. It measures 26.5" X 12.5" X 5". Not a perfect fit for anything I've seen. Does anybody know where I might get a nice fitting padded soft case for something like this?

2. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    +1. Studioslips made a custom zippered cover for my NEO810. Great service and a fantastic product.

3. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    They look nice... But it looks like it will cost $90 with no options. It's a decent price, but I made my own board so it would be cheap (cost about $10 in materials), so it seems like a lot to spend on a cover. Or am I being silly?

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I had a StudioSlips case built for my PedalTrain Junior. It turned out ok, but I'm spoiled by the robustness of my mono PT-1 case. I think I'd just go to goodwill and try to find a cool old suitcase that fits it and add some foam. You're not going to find anything under $100 for a custom built bag.

5. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Find a local seamstress, my mother loves to make things for people.

6. Rob Fossil

Rob Fossil

Jul 24, 2011
    Northeast, USA
    I had the same problem finding a case for my homemade 25" x 11" x 5" pedalboard until I found the Moog Little Phatty softcase. The dimensions for the case are 30" X 16-1/2" X 9", so there is some extra room for cables and such. As an extra bonus, I can also fit my Aguilar TH500 head in the compartment on the top. It's $54 at Guitar Center and right now they have a $10 off coupon for items over $49. Not sure if it applies to Moog Stuff, but you can try asking for the discount.

7. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Make your own. I went to a local fabric store got some thick paisley material and a bunch of 1" cotton and sewed it up. It works perfectly.

8. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Some good ideas here... Thanks for the offer aprod, but the pedaltrain pro case is a little too big.

JoshC: How did your case close? Did you just make a bag a slip the board in? Or did you add a zipper?

I'm lazy and impatient, so I went ahead and ordered the Moog Little Phatty Gig Bag from GC. It's the perfect size and looks pretty nicely padded. And it says "Moog". :)
    The $10 off coupon worked (not at first, but I started a chat and they gave me the proper code).

Thanks all, TB rocks.

9. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I made a flap that goes over the top of the bag. So the board goes in the top and the flap closes over it, like a messenger bag. Then I made a shoulder strap as well, so it essentially is a messenger bag I put my pedal board in. I borrowed a machine to sew it, I'm not sure how sharp something hand sewn would be, although I'm sure if you took the time it would be ok.

10. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I am so glad I stumbled across this thread.. I've been going crazy looking for decent soft case for my board. I'd never heard of studioslips before.

11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Not so sure I'd recommend Studio Slips. I ordered double padding and that didn't seem to be very padded by Mono standards. It's an okay bag, but not the level of sturdiness that I was expecting.

Matty Koff likes this.
  12. Funny someone just bumped this thread, because I was looking at the Litty Phatty today and I have a board almost the exact same size as you @smeet. How'd it work out for you?

13. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It worked great. The lil phatty is tall, so there's room to spare, it wasn't a snug fit. But worked well for me.

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I assume you are schlepping your gear yourself, so you don't need anything too crazy. Do you know anyone who can sew? Not that difficult to design - get a couple of pieces of foam for protection.

When I bought my cab, the builder said covers were $90 (he didn't make them - just pointed me to a company that made them). For $10 in duckcloth a stencil, and a little spray paint, I have a custom cover.

15. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
  16. This is fantastic idea for me. I can recycle my old messenger bags. Should've figured this idea out on my own, but I'm not the most efficient pedaller in the peloton.

Great idea, right up there with securing the pedals to the board with bike-chain links.

Sorry to have dragged you back into this old thread with the quote, Josh, but I had to say thanks.

"Thanks!"

17. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the input on that Rich. I've just been struggling to find a soft case for my PT-3, and my hardcase is a bit heavy for me atm while I've been recovering from back surgery. I'm not so worried about padding as I am just a light weight tote that won't let my board slide around. However, for last nights gig we used a suitcase and some foam padding and that actually worked pretty wonderfully. I might just stick w/ that. Thanks for the input.