1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solid State heads that are safe down to 2 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm looking into some options for a new amphead. I'm leaning towards an all tube head (like the Peavey VB2), though I'm open to suggestions for solid state amps as well. I'll get the VT bass pedal if I go solid state (if that is even necessary). Price is not a consideration at this point. I'm just compiling a list of possibilities and "2 ohm" will not work in the search function.

I have two 4 ohm 115 neo cabs that I love and will not consider any amp head that cannot safely go down to 2 ohms so don't even suggest going with 8 ohm cabs or using only one 4 ohm cab to match some "safe down to 4 ohm" amp suggestion.

I'd like a list of possible ampheads that fit that criteria, so who has some offerings? Tell me what you like most about it and what you think of it's features.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    These are smaller size offerings.

Genz Benz NeoPak (2ohm 500w), Ashdown Little Giant 1000 (2x 500w 4ohms), Carvin, Shuttle Max 12 (2x 4ohm)

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Then there is the old Acoustic 370.
    Does 2 just fine and very loud.

4. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Mesa Big Block 750- 750watts @ 2 ohms.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just looked at the GB NeoPak manual online and it says it only safely goes down to 4 ohms.

The Little Giant doesn't appeal to me. Shuttle Max 12 looks interesting as do the Carvin options.

Thanks.

6. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    Traynor Dynabass 800H, hybrid head. Good for 600w at 2ohm.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Perhaps I can clarify a bit more.

I can pick up a new Peavey VB2 for $700. So if anyone has some SS suggestions that come close to that price or lower (used or new), let me know.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    3 more suggestions from the peanut gallery......
    For clean power to spare with change in your pocket: Carvin BX1200
    For power, flexibility and tone in a sexy, smallish package: Eden WT550 (or the larger 800 or 1200 or the newest 1000)
    Also EA iAMP 800, 500 and their newer ones as well.

9. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Some of the later GB Neo Paks were 2 ohm capable, and the earlier ones can be modified to operate at 2 ohms....I had one and sent it to GB after purchasing it for the 2 ohm mod.
    Also there is the Carvin BX500

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Most NeoPak's now have had a free Mod (For USA located owners) that allows 2ohm operation. The NeoPak 3.5 does the 2ohm 500w. If you buy one that does has not had it done, it's my understanding that Genz Benz will do it.

Genz Benz tech people here on the forums have verified that multiple times here on Talkbass. Just search the Amps forum for Neo Pak.

Post from Genz Benz technical Engineer "Agedhorse":
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3909508&postcount=29

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That amphead looks very interesting. I only found one thread on it (and 3 older threads). Not a lot of info on it though.

Anyone own one?

12. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
  13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
  14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    My pleasure! I have always enjoyed your insight on these boards. You are one of the good guys!

15. neuro512

neuro512

Jun 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have a Traynor Dynabass 800H. Awesome amp, light, loud, great tone- has tube pre amp, distorsion, distorsion mix, compressor, parametric EQ. 2 year warranty. I paid 800 for it. I had not heard much about Traynor/Yorkville before I played it, but I am glad I got it. Try it out!

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Buy an Eden WT-405. You won't regret it.

17. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Subscribed

18. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    I own the smaller and slightly older version. The Yorkville XS400H, same features for the most part just less watts and only goes down to 4ohm. It's got a really good tone. Has enough bells and whistles for the moderate tweaker, but is simple enough for set it and forget it people like me. The comp is a little too much for me, but I always say that. The tube drive sounds really good though. Did I mention it's built like a tank?

19. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Don't the GK 2001RB models go down to 2 ohms?

20. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Nemesis NA650, pushes 650 watts @ 2 ohms. Many compare the tone to an Eden WT-405. Semi-parametric eq is sweet in dialing in just the right frequency in your mids. Warm sound, definitely not sterile.

Best part? Mint condition unit selling for $425 in classifieds!