Solid wood endpin

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassteban, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Does anyone have info on these? Ron Carter uses one made of snakewood. Thanks.
  2. A wood endpin would have to be custom made for a particular bass. Any luthier that is half way decent using a lathe could make one for you. There was a time when nearly all basses had wood endpins.

Former NYC luthier Charles Traeger wrote a paper for the Catgut Acoustical Society in which he talked about how the increased acoustic coupling between a wood endpin and the floor produced greater sound output. I've never tried it myself because I'm not willing to give up the convenience changing heights obtainable with an adjustable endpin.
  3. Bob

back in the day, when all endpins were wood, did the tailpiece attach to the endpin or a separate knob? Were the endpins removable? Did different size people use different lengths? Just curious. By the way I saw an old Italian bass at World of Strings recently that iseems to be in current orchestral use (based on the strings that were on it) which had the old style boxwood endpin. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ask Jon about it.

4. Sorry, but I'm not old enough to have been around when most endpins were wood. However, I think it's a pretty safe bet that they tailpiece wire went around the endpin. Otherwise, there would be a lot more basses with the separate knob around today. Most of the old wood endpins I've seen have a removable "rod" portion that was tapered on one end to fit the socket part. Perhaps they were made long and the player would cut or have it cut off to the desired length. I don't really know. However, as it is today, it would be a simple matter to make the "rod" portion any length you wanted it on a wood lathe.
  6. Unfortunately, i'm old enough to remember wood end-pins. The wire did go around the plug of the pin, and the owner would have several sizes in his bass bag to accomodate other players. Actually, my Bohmann came with a wooden end-pin. The rod portion was all "turned" like a fancy dinner table leg.
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I would guess a wooden endpin wouldn't look right unless you wore buckle shoes and your pants tucked into your calf-length stockings.
  8. Yeah, and a hook for a right hand, an eye patch and a cursing parrot!
  9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    That hook must make for some mean pizz playing... but I would think that arco may be a little difficult. :D
  10. freemole

May 24, 2003
    The hook worked for Jamerson...
  11. I don't know anything about Jamerson....Clue me, did he have a hook?
    Great for up tunes or sambas....... :meh:
  12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    He used a one finger technique that was dubbed "the hook". Not sure what he did when playing DB.
  13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    You can watch it go in that Shadows of Motown movie, great documentary. I used to be in awe of it because I never saw anybody do dat, and then I saw some of the other old-school guys soloing/playing with just one (can't think of any but Arthur Harper seemed like a one-finger man). Someone else can tell me why Jamerson's hook is so spectacular beside the fact that he grooves so well.

One more thing: Jamerson was a jazz player supposedly, as are the rest of those Motown musicians, and his technique originally comes from DB.
  14. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    There is a recording of him “supposedly” playing jazz on DB on one of the CDs that come with the book "Standing in the shadows of motown". Unfortunately [depending on how you look at it] it is the only non BG track as far as I know. :)
  15. Alot of guys including myself use one finger. What's the big deal? Ray brown for the most part did as well.
    I use two on sambas and sometimes walking, but for
  16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    No big deal at all. Unusual for a slab player, maybe.
  17. I tend to use 1 finger on BG & index+ring together on DB. I'm certainly not cool, though...
  18. edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Chuck Traeger has done work on my bass and he does replace the endpins-- it is a wooden piece and the pin is a wooden stick just like a soundpost. a small metal disc at the end of the screw puts enough pressure on the stick that you can hold it at any height. you can feel it vibrating if you pluck a string, and when i switch it with a metal pin he gave me that fits the same slot there does seem to be a difference in favor of the wooden. I imagine this would magnify a lot if the wood pin was directly on a floor that resonates -?
  19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    How many right hand fingers do you use?
  20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    When pouring scotch, I use 3-4 fingers.