1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Neil Pye, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    For the first time in over 30 years (since I did my ARCM recital) I find myself in need of a set of solo strings. I have a date to perform the Koussevitsky concerto with my orchestra. So - solo strings! At present I have Kaplan Light orchestral strings and the lower tension after Bel Cantos has really brought the bass to life, so I think I want the lowest tension I can find. BUT I have a C extension, which dramatically limits the solo strings available. D'addario do Kaplan Solo with an extended bottom string, and Spirocores are available. Neither of these could be called low tension, but I'm tempted to give the Kaplans a go. As I see it, options are:

1) Throw the Kaplan Solo set on there and focus on the music. Spirocores are out I think.
    2) Borrow a bass set up for solo work. This is feasible, but I'm not sure I want to spend the time getting acquainted with a new instrument. I have enough to do learning the concerto (and memorising!).
    3) Get a new nut cut so I can take the extension off. This will widen my choice of strings dramatically, but it's a lot of faffing around.

What do you think? Any other ideas?
    Neil

2. Jargar Dolces?
    There's a long E available for extensions.
    The Dolces can be used at solo pitch.

3. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    Thanks, problem with that may be the tension issue, but worth thinking about

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    i'd just get the Kaplins and practice.

5. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    That's what I thought at first, but i'd really like to sound as good as possible, and the lower tension strings made SO much difference...

I think I'll have to do the practice bit anyway..... I'm not scared yet, but in 3 months I probably will be!

6. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I personally use a Spiro F#/D with Dominants on top

7. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Why change the ext. E at all? Many bassists, myself included, just keep the E. One less thing to do.

8. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    Why did I not think of that???? I must be dumber than I thought. Thanks

Adam Booker likes this.
  9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd go for the Dominant solos and leave the E alone. Jargar dolces are great (I have them on one bass now) but they pale in volume to the Doms IMO

10. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    The Dominant solos may be the lowest tension easiest-playing strings I've ever used. They have a very sweet sound (bright, but with a lot of character) and are actually really loud.

Also, for anyone worried about Dominants breaking, I've found the best way to string them is the way Genssler/Velvet strings are strung as this keeps the metal part of the string from going around the tuning peg.

Pic of Gensslers as an example (not mine, I found this elsewhere).
    a0017324_06225340.

panos likes this.