Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo tuning?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by TizzleNizz, Mar 27, 2004.

1. what is a solo tuning? ive searched but cant find a straight answer?

what is the tuning for solo tuning?is is in fifth? or something?

2. Try here - there's also a 2-part article on "Viennese Tuning" in the current (and previous) issues of Double-Bass magazine.

- Wil

3. Solo tuning requires buying a set of special "solo tuning strings" made to be tuned up a full step. G to A. D to E, A to B, and E to F#....Most solo classical bassists use this tuning to get that tight, cello-like sound and response. People like Gary Karr and Edgar Meyer use this tuning alot.
    Some jazz players use solo strings and tune them down to regular EADG for ease of playing and looser response.
    These strings are much thinner in terms of gauge.

4. thanks.. i dont want to make another thread, so i'll just ask the question here..

i bought a simandl and zimmerman "86 Etudes" book one.. and there is some tenor clefs in there!

my question is, which C is the 4th line refering to? is that the equivelent to the middle C in the bass cleff. or is that the actual middle C..(pitch wise, like on the piano)???

anyways.. how often does this clef appear in bass music? i can read both bass and trble clef very fluently, and i would've prefered to have ledger lines rather then learning a new clef...

so, is there a trick u guys use to help with the tenor clef?