Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soloing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by geoffshort, Dec 15, 2005.

1. geoffshort

geoffshort

Mar 29, 2005
    Well, I made this thread in the General Bass Fourm, and someone told me to mkae one here. So, latly I've been wanting to solo during band jams and when I'm just practicing. I just can't get anything to sound good or musical for that matter :meh: Some of my favorite bassists are: Jaco, Manring, Patitucci, and Wooten if that helps. My band and I play jazz/blues. So, what are some ways you started out soloing? Any tips?

2. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Think melody. One thing you should try is singing a solo, and then actually learn to play what you sang. In addition, many beginning soloists just run up and down scales, but all the cooler sounding solos are much more angular. Start literally playing just arpeggios over changes, and change the rhythm and phrasing of that, then branch out from there.

Finally, don't obsess over notes. You can play all the "right" notes and suck, or play all the "wrong" notes and sound amazing. Much has to do with phrasing.