1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Some bass riffs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ahmrik, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Line 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Line 2

20.0%
  3. Line 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Line 4

40.0%
  5. Line 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Line 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Line 7

40.0%
  1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You said to be brutal. I could be brutal but instead I'm going to assume that you're a teen that's relatively new to the instrument.

I don't dig music with basslines like that. I didn't dig those particular basslines. All I can say is, when you are making music that you like, the bassline is what you want it to be. People, like me, that don't like music with basslines like that, probably won't like the music no matter how good you are.

Basically what I'm saying is, if it sounds good in the context of a song. Rock it. If it doesn't, then think about throwing in some new influences.

-Eric.

2. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I'm not a fan.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You can use these to write metal songs... but they'd be rather generic metal songs :meh: Sorry, being brutal. I'm to a point where I require rhythmic interest, failing that HEAVY melodic interest.. this does neither for me.

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I like 2,3 and 7, I think they have lots of potential to build a cool metal song around.

P.S.: Don't listen to Matt Till, he thinks every single band should sound like Dillinger Escape Plan. :p

5. Hmm i am not really a fan but i agree that a few have some potential. I liked 4 and the beggining of 7 was alright, but i would have changed the last bar. Keep at it though.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I actually don't think any band should sound like dillinger escaple plan... :meh: Except maybe with Mike Patton singing. :smug:

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    were these lines played on an upright bass?

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

They are midi programmed, if you look at the bottom, you'll see you can change the "tone."

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Ah, I didn't catch that. thanks.

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Damn. Personally, I think they're great, but I also like bands who like to keep their music a bit simpler. :cool:

11. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    I think there is some potenial for metal songs as has been said earlier but I think what needs to happen is a better sense of key or tonic. Most of these meander around a lot and don't have a clear key. I think there is too much chromaticism. Try simplifying them. I liked 7 the best because it was clear and simple. It sounded the most like a real bass line to me. That's my two cents.:smug:

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Eh, my only problem with them is the singer. I like some pretty abrasive singers, but this guy sounds like someone is beating the hell out him and he's screaming for help the whole time. That might be cool in some respect, but I prefer my screamers to sound like they've been taken over by demons or something. :meh: :smug: