1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Some help appreciated

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Drigz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Drigz

Drigz

Sep 9, 2008
    Well i've just recently gotten myself into a Victor Wooten craze. So much so that i decided to purchase his book. It is great and i love it. My problem is that I've seem to hit a wall. I am currently trying to learn "You Cant Hold No groove" only im having major difficulties with the intro. I'm not sure how he plays the D F G F G G F part. The book doesn't specify so i assume its use preference but i cant get it to sound right. I'm sure there's a more efficient method that im using. Which is by the way slap, hammer-on, pull, slap, double thump, slap. In order with the notes. If that sounds like jibberish lemme know to see if i can explain it better. I'd really love to be able to play this awesome song. If anyone has any tips, they'd be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    How about this?

viclick.

Notice the use of Victor's "Open-Hammer-Pluck" technique that he uses a lot.

Pardon the use of Tab. Man, I hate that crap.

3. Drigz

Drigz

Sep 9, 2008
    yea that works nicely, thanks. although id prefer a method that preserves the double thump on the G if at all possible. If anyone has any clue as to how to do this please share :) if not ill settle. thanks again!

4. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Well then you can do your own transcription yourself and play it however you want. This is how the lick is recorded.

I suggest you study Victor Wooten's playing style more closely and recognize when he is recycling one of his signature techniques such as what is written here.