Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Some recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., May 29, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

As some of you know, I have a classic rock band with some friends. This is just for fun, for playing what we really like. But recently, we've noticed that there are some new places in town for playing rock. The thing is, we thought that it would be cool to play in those places, just for gigging, but just a few people here know and like the music we play (Floyd, Zeppelin, Rush, Yes...). We are a bunch of (almost) complete illiterates about new rock music, among other things because we think that the real rock is dead. If it's still alive, it's because the dinosaurs who keep it like that.

So I'm looking for recommendations on cool music for playing to young audiences with one guitar, bass, drums and voice (maybe a keyboard player. We haven't decided it yet). It doesn't have to be "new" music, necessarily. The best example of what I'm trying to say is Lenny Kravitz. His music is very popular here. We're are planning to put "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" and "Mr. Cab Driver" (cool songs, BTW) in our set list, and we know that those tunes will be very well received. Another point is that we don't want to play Nirvana-type music because it's like stigmatized here, courtesy of all those young, unexperienced kids who want to play and form bands of questionably quality playing that stuff, mostly. So, we're looking for a balance between cool music to listen (for the young audiences) and cool music to play (for us).

Maybe some of you would say that it's hard to give an advice because you don't live here, but I think that nowadays, thanks to CATV and the Internet, tastes don't differ too much from one place to another, so your opinions are highly valuable. Thank you very much in advance for your input.

P.S.: Full set lists suggestions would be cool, if no problem with that.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Er... Should this be in "Band Management and Performance"? :confused:

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Bump.

(Well, I wrote this because I've seen others doing it, and I know the meaning of the word, but I'm not sure in this context. Is it like "This is just to bring the thread to the forefront again"?)

4. Álvaro, en este contexto “bump” significa avanzar a la cabeza de la lista. Lo siento, pero no conozco nada de rock más moderna que los 60s. Hace una o dos semanas era un hilo sobre “set list” en “Band Management”. Talvez una búsqueda en aquello foro daría resultados. De todas maneras, “bump”.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

¡Muchas gracias por el vínculo, Aaron! Probaré escuchando algunas de las cosas que sugieren allí. Me he suscrito a ese tópico, por si aparece algo nuevo. ¡De nuevo gracias! :)