Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something New For Every North American Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassified, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Bassified

Bassified

Jul 11, 2005
    Most people on this site loves North American music. Don't get me wrong, because I think they have awesome bassists here as well, such as Geddy Lee from Rush, and even more of a younger generation, Mark Hoppus from Blink 182, which unfortunately departed.

Nevertheless, it never hurts to hear some music outside of this continent even though you don't understand the lyrics, because you understand THE BASS RIFFS! Personally I am in a band and I play bass; I always strive for interesting bass riffs. As you may already know, I am also a fan of J-rock (Japanese Rock) music and trust me. A few months ago a band from Japan called L'arc en Ciel came to the U.S. to preform in front of a 12,000 audience. Obviously, this isn't a great number of fans for their first debut in North America; however in Japan, they got over 70,000 fans for their first debut in 1989.

L'arc en Ciel has a really talented bassist who is also the leader of the band named Tetsu. The bass is never unnoticed in any of the songs. His bass riffs are complicated, fast, and fun. Sometimes you may even think a guitar isn't necessary because of the nice melody he creates. For more check out www.larc-en-ciel.com

Here are some songs you can try out with your bass:
    1) Heaven's Drive
    2) Ready Steady Go
    3) Stay Away
    4) And She Said
    5) Lose Control

Yes, these Japanese songs have English titles. Don't ask me why.

Happy playing! =)

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    welcome to TB!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    So why does a Japanese band have a French name :confused:

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    not sure, but killer site they have.

5. Corwin

Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, I don't know from l'Arc En Ciel (means 'rainbow', right? "The arc in the sky"?), but I love me some Ruins.