Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Something new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Mar 3, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I just picked this up the other day and I love it. This is one fun bass to play.

It's a Yamaha BB5000AF. Someone slapped a really nice Bartolini humbucker in the bridge position and the tones coming from this bass are awesome.

The one thing that I have noticed is that it's MUCH easier to play an unlined fretless than a lined. I have had 2 lined fretless basses and had not liked either. I relied too much on the lines and was thrown when my intonation was off.

With no lines it seems that my ear is getting more play rather than relying on my fingers for what I assumed was correct placement.

Does anyone else share this revelation that the unlined is an easier beast to tame?

Chime in...

Best to all,

Mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Damn that looks goooood.
    Have fun!
    -Alex

3. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I've always found it easier to play unlined. It does get a little tricky higher up on the neck though.
    Nice bass.

4. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I have found that too. I have larger hands so I really have to let my ears do the talking (so to speak) when I go higher on the neck.

I still have not mastered double stops or chords but am working on it.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Someone at the SE GTG had one of those with dual Bart(?) humbuckers with a Music Man style pickguard and it was dead sexy and a great player! I'll see if I can dig up some pix.

edit - here's the pic

[​IMG]

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I've been telling ya'll not to sleep on those Yamaha basses!

That looks like exactly like one that was on the Bay recently. I looked at it but I don't need a fretless these days.

Nice score -- enjoy it!

7. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

It is the one from eBay. The guy was local and I just could not pass up on it. I'm so glad I didn't. I am really happy with this bass.

I have been a fan of the BB series for a long time. I'm happy I waited until this one came along.

8. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Nice. Mine has a P set in the neck position but I may have to slap a groovy guard on this bass.

Do you have a closeup of the bass?

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    It's lbpark's bass. Try hitting him up and seeing if he has any.

10. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Groovy, thanks.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yo Scott, it's Larry's bass (lneal), I think that it originally was routed for PJ, most likely how W*C*B's might been originally. The pickguard Larry put on there covers some of the other p/up routes. It is a killer fretless... I can only imagine that W*C*B's sounds as good, if not better.

sound clips?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive actually been really attracted to yamaha's fretless stuff lately. May i ask how much it set you back? You can Pm me the price if you want.

13. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I picked it up for $640 which included shipping.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sweet. Im not well read on yamaha basses.. but the BB series attracts me. What are the top of the line models in that series?

15. Killer looking bass my friend! I havn't had the chance to play on many Yamaha's, but I have never heard too many complaints coming from the owners of them.

Again, killer bass!!! [​IMG]

-ryan-

16. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

I don't have much experience with the newer models. I had a BB series about 20 years ago (yes, I know...) and it was great. I'm not sure of the year on this one but it was well made and in great shape. There is one pretty good size ding that went through the paint on the loer bout, but it gives the bass some character.

17. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I do have a Yamaha but that one is Larry's. I believe it was routed for EMG's. Mine's routed as well but for one Lane Poor in the sweetspot. That was a great bass.

18. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Figgy -

There's really no "top of the line" in the BBXXX series. The entire line is moderately priced ($299 - $450.)

They only differ by configuration:

BB414 4-string passive
    BB415 5-string passive

BB614 4-string active
    BB615 5-string active

[​IMG]

_____________________________________________​

There is the BBXXXX series that are based on the "Nathan East" models but they a have different (narrower) body shape.

[​IMG]

They are however, much more expensive and considered high-end. (The top of THAT line costs well over $2,000)

Based on what I understand, if you want a high end BB that looks like the "Fat bodied" one, your best bet is finding one of the (older and discontinued) neck thrus like the BB3000 or the BB5000.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah the bb3000's and 5000's are what im familiar with.

They are just fun to gander at.. no bass purchases in the near future for me.

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    [​IMG]

Mwaaaaah...