1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SONAR 3 PE

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by neptoon, Jun 20, 2007.

1. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    ok, guys...i'm working with (ok, i'm not working with it, i'm only looking at it all confused and stuff) sonar 3 producer edition...my band bought the studio we record at 6 PE, but since i'm only recording bass at home i'm using this...it was a gift from my parents several years back and i'm just now opening it up...some of ou sonar savvy guys stand by to help me out...i was trying to import some windows media audio files into sonar, and it worked the first time, but when i tried to import the second file, bam, it said i was out of memory...these are the problems i'm having...juvenile? sure...help! i don't even know if my setting are correct or not...and i don't need it anyway, but i don't think the midi is working, either

2. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Tell us something about your computer... processor speed, amount of RAM memory, hard drive size, audio interface your using to get the sounds into Sonar.

Any kind of digital audio editing/recording requires a bit of "horsepower' and breathing room.

Craig

3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    computer is a dell e521
    amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 400+ (i have no idea what that means)
    250 gig hard drive
    2 gig ram
    presonus firepod (vista drivers installed)

i'll be recording my bass direct via little labs red eye DI...

4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    additionally, if anyone is willing, i'm willing to net meeting with someone and you can walk me through this...that might be more trouble than what it's worth, but i'll take what i can get :D

5. that version is a couple old... is it Vista compatible?

6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    the vista drivers were for the firepod

honestly, i'm not sure...i installed it and i can open it...i started a new project and played it and the record function seems to work...i wasn't able to play tracks from the import menu, though...maybe it's really not working...i'm waiting to get a slipstreamed version of XP pro, and i'll be downloading linux, too...i was going to dual boot those two and have XP set up so that it can't access the internet...i was going to put mozilla on the linux partition...i was just thinking i'd give sonar a shot the way everything is now just to see what's up with it

7. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Sounds like you have an adequate PC and Sonar 3 PE should run on XP without a problem (as far as I can remember - I'm using Sonar 6 PE). Or are you saying you have Vista and are looking to "downgrade" it? If you have Vista I'm almost confident Sonar 3 PE won't run on it.

Part of the problem could be that you've install Vista drivers for your audio interface. Have you tried posting your information in the Sonar forums at Cakewalk? The gang there is usually pretty responsive.

Craig

8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    yeah, i posted there this morning...when i get home, they said i need to download a file converter - wma to wav and then i should be able to import the files...i'm currently running vista and i will probably be downgrading if this doesn't work...i was able to import a file into sonar 3 last night and play it back...i won't know for sure until i try recording with it and playing it back...not sure how to do that, either :D

9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    ok, here's another problem i'm having...i'm trying to convert my .wma files to .wav files so i can import them into sonar...any help here? thanks!

10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    additional comment...many of the .wma files are protected...protected from whom? i wrote the songs...i own the rights to them...what's the deal? :D

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021