1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Songs you refuse to learn...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 15, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Sorry if this is the wrong section for this, it didn't seem like it would fit elsewhere...

What songs (if any) do you guys just flat out refuse to learn?

For me, believe it or not its the "Barney Miller" theme song from the tv show back in the 70s.

I dig the tune, and it simple enough but honestly never gave any thought to learning it at all...

Than, all of a sudden starting about 6 years ago it seemed like everywhere I went people would ask me if I knew how to play it...

2. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I will learn anything if I need to, I may not like the song but if the band I'm in wants to do it and I get out voted I don't have much choice!

3. I learn what I want to. That way I cannot refuse.
    No desire to play in a pop-cover band. That eliminates having to learn a bunch of crap music for ****** and bar ******.

coilcbl_RT, BassJeesus and TerenceE like this.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    As a musician and entertainer, I learn anything that may help entertain large crowds of bra-less young women. Anything else would be uncivilized.

5. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Same here. I think that's the way to do it. I'm not going to waste my time learning some lame cover that I don't like, either.

6. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I refuse to learn any Eric Johnson songs. Especially "Manhattan" and "Cliffs of Dover"
    :D

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Bar skanks are people too!! Where's the love?

8. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Nov 6, 2010
    Beckley, WV
    I recently semi-volunteered to play bass for this little weekend cover jam group. I knew they played mostly country and I'm not even close to being a fan of country but I was hoping it would at least be "good" country. These guys are playing the most boring, slow, lame, dead, monotonous crap I've ever heard. I'm opting out of this one so I guess my answer to the question would be anything country. Nope, not gonna waste my time.

redwingxix and THUNDERGODX like this.
  9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I had a similar "opportunity" last year to play with some guys who wanted to do pub gigs. I took a look at their song list and it was the most generic, over-played collection of cover songs you could imagine. All of the main offenders were on there. I didn't see how playing those worn out songs would bring me any joy, so I passed.

Just_Ethan, jaxstarke and THUNDERGODX like this.
  10. Music is strictly a "fun on the side" thing for me, my band plays almost all originals (with the occasional Beatles cover), and our frontman is a phenomenal songwriter, so I don't have to refuse to learn any songs.

Although there was the time he suggested that we cover Superbass by Nicki Minaj... The drummer and I nipped that idea in the bud :rollno:

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's kind of where I'm at. I could play the same old set list, and I'd have a gig, and people would probably listen and maybe dance, but I guess at this point in my life I'm past that. The return (low pay) isn't worth it any more. I've been in bands, I've hauled gear, I've played "exposure" gigs - my favorite, etc.

I guess I wouldn't refuse to learn any song if it was going to get me something - which at this point in life is money for my time.

Honestly, I'd rather play some coffee shop or out of the way place for free and play what I want than do the usual paying gig these days.

12. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    Creedence :rollno:

Cougar: :rollno:

Petty :spit:

13. I forget the song brought up several weeks ago, but I told them I'd be sitting that one out.

update. it was something by rhianna. not happening.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Jimmy4string likes this.
  15. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Who is "we"? I wasn't a part of that discussion and I never saw that thread. Others seem to be enjoying this thread. No need to chastise people, officer.

Edit: I just checked out that thread. It seems to be a bunch of guys who don't mind playing crappy cover songs as long as they are making some money. This thread seems to be the opposite.

16. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I refuse to play anything suggested by the guitar player.

BassJeesus and crobasster like this.
  17. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    anything by skynard, blurred lines, careless whisper

18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    anything newer than 1990 since it's all crap.

j/k. i'm willing to learn anything since i am not a music elitist. i am more interested in learning music that improves my playing.

bassdude51 and larryatravis like this.
  19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No need to get your panties in a knot. :rollno:

This wasn't even directed at you. I'm sure the OP is quite capable of telling me to pound sand if he wants to.

20. None. Music is music.

If there's one I would argue against it's Freebird. I consider it a pretty poor tune. It has little merit. But I'd learn it if needed.