1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sonic difference between a P-J steup and J-J setup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbailes, Jul 26, 2012.

1. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Hello all,
    For any who have a bass with a PJ pickup format on their bass, I was wondering how different the sound is from a bass with 2 jazz pickups. Thanks.

2. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Very different.

Nothing sounds like a J Bass with both pickups turned up, its got a really nice scooped out mid range, best slap sound you can get IMO. but when soling the neck pickup, it wont sound like P Bass.

The advantage of the PJ is that you can have a proper P bass tone when soloing the neck pick up and or a proper J Bass (Jaco) tone from the bridge pick up. When they are both up together it sounds nice but it wont sound like JJ.

I find PJ more versatile. although i love the J Bass sound jaming on my own, when playing in the band setting the P just cuts through the mix better.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Thats interesting, I never noticed any mid scoop in any Jazz I own, In fact they have an upper mid range kind of bite to them.

I find that where a P sits really well in the mix, a Jazz cuts through and kind of sits in front of it, if that makes any sense.

To the OP, a PJ sounds like a P when the P pickup is soloed, sounds like a soloed bridge Jazz when the Jazz is soloed. But its its own animal when both pickups are used together.

4. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
  5. I don't know how well my Jag would compare to any other P/J. But I find my single J a bit tangy and tinny on its own, even though it still sounds good to my ears. The neck P is definately where it's at on my bass, and the J adds a nice touch of treble punch to the P when dialed in together.